My cd player(which has been working for four years) in my Villager van has recently started working intermittently.I tried cleaning the contacts behind the detachable face plate but this is still happening.It will work fine for twenty minutes or so then it will start showing"see you""hello"repeatedly and won't work at all.Then later usually overnite it will start working again.Do you think the face plate is going bad?Thanks for any help.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: cd player in van not working properly
Is it always 20 minutes or is it random. If it intermittently switches off, i would say that the power button has a problem. Maybe there is dirt, or moisture simply tha the switch has no 'spring action' anymore that it touches the contacts.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The alternator is not charging the battery. Could be a bad connection bugt usually it's the alternator that's bad. The Villager & Quest both turn on the battery light and the brake light when the charging system is not working porperly
This is the address for Command's wiring diagram for your villager. There is also a "tech line" you can contact for any questions that aren't answered here. As far as doing a job like this, its not really a "beginners" job. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the unit, the harnesses, the car itself etc. Read all the literature etc... Be sure to have ALL the tools ready to go before you even start. I use a butane soldering iron and heat shrink tubing instead of scotch-lock connectors because I believe good soldering and good shrink wrap is MUCH more reliable and will likely outlast the van! There will be certain parts of the job that require using 1/4" blade connectors. Be sure to have high quality, properly sized (for the wiring gauge) connectors and good crimping pliers (Thompson crimpers). I always used connectors with a one piece (no split in the barrel where the wires enter) Perhaps their tech line can shed some light on this for you as well. In addition, be sure to have good, sharp cutters and strippers. Whatever you do, don't just cut, strip, twist and tape! That's a DISASTER waiting to happen!!! Be sure to go slow, starting and finishing each connection one at a time. Be SURE that you've disconnected the battery before you start! I've been working on car wiring for over 25 years and pro-audio for over 20 as well as electronic repair since high school so I'd say my info is pretty good! :D Good luck with your van!
Unfortunately Ford/Mercury did not issue any recall about the spare tire cable. Here all recalls concerning your van model: 1996 Mercury Villager Recalls.
A good solution would be replacing the spare tire nut and cable. A solution is getting an aftermarket replacement like the one below. That should be safe enough to allow you putting the spare cable back in place under the van without safety concerns. Click on the picture below to open the page.
Note: If the problem is not the spare tire nut and cable but the rod attached to the chassis you will need to carry a welding job to fix a new rod to the chassis. In that case the repair must be done at the garage. If the problem is nut and cable I suggest buying the part shown above or an equivalent.
Yes, but you need lots of skill and body tools to permanantly repair that. This is caused by owners not knowing that there are tiny drain holes in the bottom of the doors, that get clogged up with dirt. If a person just checked and cleaned them out once a year, with a pipe cleaner.......this would never have happened