Horizontal lines across the top 2 - 3" of the screen
Help! When I was a kid, tv's had a knob for adjusting the horizontal and vertical stuff... now I can't find anything in the menu and we've moved so many times I have no idea where the book might be. The tv we have is a zenith 27" that looks very much like the picture that this model refers to.
Several weeks ago, the top of the screen had kinda white lines across the top 2 - 3" when it was turned on and then they would all but disappear. Since this tv is about 7 or 8 yrs old I wasn't real concerned, however, hoping to minimize this I just started leaving the tv on and only turning off the cable. As time has gone on the lines have crept down the screen and now the tops of people's heads are showing up on their foreheads! When credits roll you can almost tell that they are rolling down to the lowest line.
My hubby looked at the back of the tv but didn't see any knobs or dials there to adjust vertically. We're assuming it's vertical. Is there anything I can do?
I know the tv is pretty old, but we haven't ever had any problems with it and I finally fully understand how to use the menu etc. It would be a shame to have to start over... oh, yeah ... we can't afford another tv - hope we can afford a repair if we can't do it ourselves. Can you give a good guess as to a fair cost estimate?
Thanks so much for ANY help you can provide! This is driving us (ME) nuts!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: horizontal lines across the top 2 - 3" of the screen
Sounds like you have some capacitors that are needing to be changed in the vertical circuit. The cost I cannot quote but, it probably won;t be worth the cost as replacement TV's are much cheaper now. Zeniths and other brands for the longest time have used not controls inside the TV, they are technician adjustments through a service menu only.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Vertical jumping may have a vertical hold issue, horizontal may have a horizontal hold issue. Most older tv sets will have some knobs or adjustable screws for vertical and horizontal hold. Turn your set on and check for these knobs on the back of your set and adjust until your picture is in as well as you can get it
I have given an general explanation on most projection TV ' s
Enter the menu on your TV. Use the remote control and bring up the menu.
Choose "Convergence." This may be under "Picture Settings," "Function" or "Advanced Options."
Select a color. You will have red, green and blue to choose from. Do each one, starting with red.
Press "Enter." A crosshair pattern will appear on your screen.
Adjust vertically. If there is a horizontal red line visible, press the up or down arrow keys (or channel up or down) to adjust the convergence until the line is superimposed on the horizontal-center line of the white crosshair.
Adjust horizontally. If there is a vertical red line visible, press left or right (or volume up or down) to adjust horizontally. Do this until the line is superimposed on the vertical line of the white crosshair.
Save settings. It is important to save your settings when you are done, instead of simply exiting the menu.
Verical position is hard to adjust and is in service menu. A service manual will get you there, but you might get lucky with the vertical size adjustment. If you open the front of the TV, the vertical size is adjusted with a knob on the deflection board. Remove the speaker grille and take off the access panel. You will see two knobs, one horizontal and one vertical. Be careful, those red wires have 30,000 volts on then, don't touch anything but those knobs. If its just an adjustment, the v-size knob will fix. Set it so ESPN ticker is just above the bottom of the screen. *Service mode - the manual tells little but entering is done by "press and hold the input button, press the power button, release both after you hear HV come up" .. the v-pos parameter is in there, but this manual doesn't say where or how to adjust, procede at your own risk. If you get into trouble, pull the power so you don't save any settings. I believe you just navigate through the menus to find the parameter and use arrows to adjust. Enter may save. Sorry the service manual I have tells nothing much.
On the inside of the TV, there will be a knob with a RED cap on it, labeled vertial position. (it actually looks like a variable inductor)
With an allen wrench (possible 1/4) give it a half turn in either direction and see what happens. On the Z25x22S model, the vertical and horizontal position adjustments should be right next to eachother, but on the model i worked on, there was no variable pot for the horizontal position.
NOTE: ----DO NOT TOUCH THE CONVERGENCE BOARD " -------
1. Bring Up 1 Projector Light
2. Bring Your Color Convergence + Sign and Should Be Center In Your TV
3. If Not Adjust Center with The 2 Tabs Just Above That Projector Tube You Have Lighted 1 Tab Will Move + Sign Horizontal Then Roll The Other Vertical Then Roll..U Will See--"
4. Once Your + Sign Is Center Turn Up Your 2 Other Projectors Make Sure They Are Able To Adjust Across The + Sign You used 1st Make Sure the 2 Other + Signs Move Left And Right And Up And Below The Vertical and Horizontal Lines. If Not Adjust There Tab to Make This Possible.
5. Using Your REMOTE Converge The + Signs Together.
---------------- IF YOU MESSED WITH THE CONVERGENCE BOARD -------------------
6. Now Lower The 2 Lights So Your 1st Projector Is Lighted
7. Bring Up A Menue On Your TV -- Look At It ...Are The Lettering Center and Square ..??
8. If They are Lower That Projector and Light Your Projectors 1 At A Time To Verify Letters are Center and Square.
---------------If You Have To Adjust The Menue To Bring Center And Square --------
9.Looking At The Convergence Board You Will See 3 Rows Of Adjustment Dials Each Row Is For 1 Projector.
---TAKE NOTE TURN THE ADJUSTMENT Slowly---
10. Locate The Row that will adjust The Projector You Have LITGHTED"....
11. Label On A Paper What Each Knob Will Do To The Screen Very Help-Full
12.Adjust Your Letters Dead Center and Square then Lower That Projector Light And Bring Each Projector Lighted At 1 Time To Verify Menue Is Center And Square.
13.Leave On Your 3rd Projector and Bring Up Your Light On The 1st Projector
14. Adjust the Letters Of Your 1st Projector Over The Letter Of Your 3rd Projector
15. Switch To Your Convergence + Sign To Help --Turn Knobs Slowly ---
16. Make Your Letters Merge Together And Your Lines Square.
17. I Use The Top Letters and Lower Letters And Keep The box Square
18. Hey If Your Projector Colors When Looking Through The Rear Of The TV Are Not Equal With Take And loosen The Wing Nuts And Turn The Lens To Focus the Color and Make Narrow Or Wide....All 3 - Equal
DO NOT GET UPSET THIS WILL TAKE TIME MAYBE ALL DAY SO RELAX HAVE FUN"
Do Not go Sticking Your Hand Into The TV While TV Is Plugged into The Wall" ---
Do not try to adjust anything yet!! Adjustments do not get out of alighnment all of a suddenly. The convergence adjustments are there to do minor aging alighnments. I would first check for bad solder connections on the convergence IC's first.