I changed the bulbs under the microwave and the circuit breaker for the microwave outlet blew. I was using a pliers to get the bulb base out and must have shorted the circuit.
I put new bulbs in and they will not work. Is there an in-line fuse somewhere on the unit that I must replace?
You stated that you regularly repair these GE / Samsung boards for this problem for customers from across the country for $32.50. How can I get ahold of you to have this same problem repaired. Please let me know.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: re: Solution #1 Nov 1,2006
This rarely blows the internal fuse, but the fuse is located either behind the control panel on the floor of the oven or on the door switch holder.
You can send us e-mail via our Web site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
Thanks very much.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If there's no other appliance on that circuit, then please stop trying to use the microwave. You could be dealing with a dead short, and those sometimes leave people,,,DEAD!
I would be really cautious about trying to use it anymore without checking it first for a direct short.
You need to allow the circuit breaker more time to reset, flip to off and give it 2 minutes, then turn it back on. You should feel the distinctive click, as well as hear it if it's working properly.
Circuit breakers can go bad after repeated failures within a circuit.
The outlet could also be damaged now, but normally it's the circuit breaker getting too hot with repeated failures.
If there are a number of other items on the same circuit, then try the microwave in a plug that you know has no other items being used at the same time, preferably while wearing heavy duty leather insulating gloves to protect yourself from any possible shock. If the circuit breaker blows, you've got a possible electrical short within the microwave. Good luck!
There are fuses inside the unit. No internal breaker. A lot of the time that damages the main circuit board too. Blowing the trace that supplies the power to the bulb off of the board. will probably need a new baord, or someone to repair that one.
Well I'm reaching here---if the bulb did not fracture/break then it sounds like a capacitor popped--check your owners manual for reset button but I don't think there is one for the lighting---In addition if you can see the circuit board--look for burn spot or wet spot. GL
Q- While trying to change the light bulb on the oven, the bulb broke. When it did, it threw the circuit breaker and the whole oven went out. After resetting the breaker, everything on the oven works except there is no power to either light socket. Any ideas or suggestions on what to replace? A- You tried to change the light bulbs with the power still on.....tsk tsk!! Hate to say this....but probably blew out part of the circuit on the smart board ( the brains behind the key panel you touch ) when the short blew. The light relay on the smart board may have been damaged but 9 out of 10 times when I check them, the board itself is damaged.
check out this problem.
please do rate the solution.thank you for using fixya.keep updated.thanks,
Check the outlet it is plugged into. Remove the microwave plug. If you don't have a voltage meter handly to test the voltage at the outlet or the continuity of the microwave plug, I would suggest you plug in a lamp from your living room into the outlet. If it doesn't work, either the outlet is a tripped (GFIC) Ground Fault Interuption Circuit outlet or the circuit breaker tripped in your electrical panel box or the microwave cord is damaged and caused a short and blew the fuse. To check these I would try plugging the light in and press the red reset button located on the wall outlet or flip tripped circuit breaker in panel. If it's a damaged cord or fuse, you can visit this web site for Sears parts www.searspartsdirect.com If you found any of these suggestions helpful, please rate my solutions. Thanks D. Lange
Techy, that's where I would start. There is an internal fuse. Sometimes there up front where we can get at them and somestimes we have to drop the whole oven and remove the wrapper. Unplug the microwave and remove the upper grill by removing the two screws holding it on. It will pull off forward. The control panel has 1 screw on top, remove it and lift up and tilt out. See if you can see the fuse cradle and fuse. 20 amp, part number 4358704. The diagram I have shows it more toward the back but these diagrams can be wrong. If you don't see the fuse behind the control panel you probably will have to drop the oven and remove the wrapper. Catriver..post back.
The problem is damage to the control circuit board.
It wasn't the pliers. This damage happens whenever the lamps are removed or installed without disconnecting the oven from the power line first.
We regularly repair these GE / Samsung boards for this problem for customers from across the country for $32.50.
We have an important file called "safety.txt" which you can find by a search on Yahoo.com.
It's important information to consider before proceeding.