My above-range with vent GE microwave (7 years old)stopped working today. The lights come on, the turntable turns, but nothing heats up. After about 2 seconds of normal microwave sounds, a second, buzzing sound begins. After running for a few more seconds, I start getting a strong plastic smell.
I have read about checking the waveguard, but I don't see anything inside my microwave that is removable for cleaning. Are there screws or something?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: buzz, plastic smell and no heat
Chances are you have a magnetron that's failing.
GE had a rash of "underperforming" magnetrons on these units.
They replace the magnetron, stirrer and high-voltage diode at no charge for parts as long as a GE-authorized service center does the work.
Sometimes the unit gets run too long in a failing state and the waveguide and chassis of the oven get damaged. The bulletin shows you where tyo check.
To see if yours is covered, see this bulletin: http://www.microwavedisplay.com/ge_mw_mag_kit_bulletin.pdf
Otherwise, you need to contact GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 as soon as possible and tell them your problem and they will put you in touch with a local authorized servicer.
My microwave has the same problem described in the post. I checked the linked bulletin and found my microwave is listed. I called the 800 number listed in this post and the person said there is no such bulletin. Is there another number I can call or is there an official bulletin I can get a copy of?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the microwave oven is 10 years old then it is time to consider a new unit, by your description it is going into cascade failure where different parts have stopped working, the buzzing sound is the magnetron warning you, it is about to fail. The fans job is to keep the magnetron cool while it is running.
There are no recalls on GE over the range microwave JVM1540DN1WW but there SHOULD BE! Mine lasted only a year and a half and then started running and heating with the door open. Shortly after that it stopped heating at all. The light and fan works, and the keyboard lights up but the turntable doesn't turn anymore (yes I made sure the turntable was turned on), and it doesn't heat. It will count down like it's heating but it doesn't heat. Changing the door switches didn't work. Husband thinks it is the magnetron which is expensive to fix. I won't ever buy another GE microwave period! Check the web and you will see all the similar complaints. I just searched online and for a lesser price than I paid for the GE, Samsung sells one that has the one year warranty but also has a 10 year warranty on the magnetron.
if everything works except the heating, it is most likely the mag tube is on its way out.........that is the most common reason for it not too cook.......since the microwave is a GE and it is 3.5 years old, i would say you are better off buying a new microwave, the mag tube starts at around $70.00 and up + the labor it costs too have a service person put it in........around another $60.00
My microwave was totally dead. Things I discovered:
1) There is an easily replacable fuse accessed by taking off the top front vent cover (two screws on top, gently massage off) and then the inside plastic grill. UNPLUG before doing this!
2) Pop off two wires on either end of fuse holder for safety. Then pop out fuse and replace.
For more extensive help, there is an evelope with a wiring diagram inside the case on the inside wall! Very helpful when diagnosing the surface lamp problem (I forgot to plug the ballast back in when I closed up the bottom).