You can reset and eliminate the lock on some televisions without the remote.. Hold the power button for five seconds. The television will automatically restart. If the lock is still on, unplug the television and remove the battery from the back panel of the television. Wait several hours before reconnecting the plug and reattaching the battery.
You say you have a Universal remote. If you have not done so yet use the procedures that came with your remote to install it on your Toshiba. After using the install procedures you should at least be able to power on and off the TV.
power the TV on and then do the following:
TOSHIBA specific advertisements or "Retail Lock" at anytime when operating, perform the following procedure:
- Using the remote control, press 1, 2, 3, 4 in this order. This will release the "Retail Lock" mode.
- Perform a factory reset of the TV
- Resetting Factory Defaults:
To reset all settings and channels to their factory default values:
1 Press the MENU button and open the Installation menu.
2 Highlight Reset TV, and then press the ENTER button.
3 Enter your PIN code (If a PIN code has been set).
4 A con?rmation screen appears. Select Yes, and press the ENTER button. The TV will turn off automatically.
Then do the following:
- Power on the TV. You will be prompted to perform the first time setup.
- Be sure to set the Location option to Home.
- Continue with the first time setup.
The "Retail Lock" should be disabled and you can now use all the functions of the TV.
hope that helps