Question about Westinghouse DPF-1411 Digital Picture Frame
When I turn the unit on it is locked in slideshow. Pressing the menu or exit buttons has no effect. Also, the slideshow works with a CF card, but freezes when using the internal memory.
To fix the freezing problem, all you have to do is change the file names to basic numbers. If you have long file names, it causes the pictures to freeze up. Change the names, and the problem stops!
Posted on Dec 31, 2008
Things I have learned after messing with 3 different Westinghouse DPFs (1 -14" & 2 - 10").
1. Just tap the buttons. Exit first and then Menu or one of the other functions. Holding them down too long seems to nullify the functions. Only the Power button needs to be held down for a second or two to turn the device on or off.
2. Use a USB to mini-USB cable to access the internal memory. Expect flakiness when you plug in the cable. Sometimes it will warn the USB 2 device is plugged into USB1 port. Ignore this and just look for a string of removable drive letters to show up in My Computer window. The one named FLASH Drive is the internal memory.
3. I reformat the internal memory (FAT32 seems to work fine) and this gets rid of the troublesome canned pictures that may be causing you lock ups.
4. I have had good succcess the xD memory cards from 16MB to 1GB.
5. I have not seen any orblems with edited photos - just be sure they are named with .jog extension and not .jpeg. - go figure?
Hope this helps...
Posted on May 04, 2009
In my experience freezing had nothing to do with file naming (length or casing), but rather with the number of pictures on your media. I tested with 1GB and 2GB CF cards, and noticed that when you go to "Photo", it would display the pages counter only up to 667 pages (6 pictures each). Last page would have 2 blank spots. It hinted that there is an internal limitation of 4000 pics. By trial and error I found that "Slide Show" is capable of handling somewhere in the area of 3700 pictures max.
Editing puctures in Photoshop is possible, but (also by trial and error) you have to avoid "progressive" when you are saving in jpg format.
Tech support is kind of useless. They said to me that there is no limit on number of pictures, but since I "informed" them of what they have done as manufacturers, apparently there is in fact the limit of 4000.
Posted on Dec 28, 2009
I guess your unit has the function, that displaying the slideshow automaticlly when turning on with the CF card inserted.
I think it can be tried that turn it on, then insert CF card, enter the menu to see if it can be read.
Some digital frame solution only support that to display pictures with music as backgroud. The music is necessary. So it is better to have pictures and music in the internal memory at the same time.
Hope these could help.
Any question, I wil try my best to help.
Posted on Dec 18, 2008
I have a Westinghouse DPF-1021 and experienced a similar problem. I have 1,800 pictures on a SD card and anywhere from 2 to 8 minutes into slideshow the slideshow locks up and the unit has to be turned off and on again to recover.
After trying everything suggested here, and a lot of frustration, I found a fix! Using a freeware application called "IrfanView for Windows XP", I was able to resize all of the images in a batch process so that no image had a dimension larger than 680 pixels. I believe that works by effectively limiting the filesize for each photo to around 60KB. I don't notice any degradation in quality on the DPF-1021.
It took about 10 minutes to run the batch process and was very easy to do using the IrfanView software. While I was running the batch process, I also renamed all the files in a numerical sequence during the same batch process. This was all pretty easy using the software and only took me a few minutes to figure out. The batch process is in the file menu of the application. Press "advanced" to perform the resize.
Posted on Jul 19, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 14, 2015 | Televison & Video
Apr 07, 2010 | Westinghouse DPF-1411 Digital Picture...
Jan 17, 2010 | Behringer DJx700 5-Channel Pro DJ Mixer...
Dec 31, 2009 | Westinghouse DPF-1411 Digital Picture...
Jul 02, 2009 | Westinghouse DPF-0702 Digital Picture...
Mar 30, 2009 | Westinghouse DPF-1411 Digital Picture...
Oct 02, 2007 | Televison & Video
Sep 22, 2007 | Panasonic PV-HS2000 Showstopper 30-Hours...
1,016 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!