Question about Passport 8500 Radar Detector
My passport 8500 keeps showing this "service required" sign. how do I fix this?
Hold all three buttons down at the same time to reset the device. If this doesn't work it probably needs to be sent back for repair/reflash. Jack
Posted on Apr 05, 2007
I had the same problem with mine and here's how I fixed it.
1) hold down both top buttons while the unit is on and it will display the problem in a code. Mine said CAL1 ERR which is a calibration startup error. This usually means there is a fluctuation in the iniial start up voltage.
2) ONLY IF your unit, like mine, was out of tthe warranty period should you atempt this because it will void your warranty. Open the unit removing the three screws at the bottom. Carefully pull the two halves of he unit apart and remove the circuit board.
3) turning the board upside down you will notice the mechanical workings of the rotary switch. In my case the spring loaded portion of the contacts was sticking and not making full contact.
4) Use two small pocket knives, one to CAREFULLY pry the contact away fro the switch and the other to insert a SMALL amount of dielectric grease where the contact attaches to the switch. Make sure to spread it out as much as possible.
5) Use the dial portion of the switch to turn the switch on and off fully (all the way on and all the way off until it clicks) several times to ensure full coverage of the grease.
6) Reassemble the unit plug it in and it should start up like the day you bought it. If not try repeating the steps above.
Also: I noticed a considerable difference in the way my switch operated after I completed this. It felt alo smoother and seated better when in the of position (that clicking noise you hear when you turn it off)
Hope this helped...
Posted on Mar 13, 2009
My passport 8500 X50 just flashes Ka to X, back and forth? Can
you help me.
Posted on Jan 22, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!