The Picture in Picture (PIP) on VIZIO televisions works on multiple input sources. This means you have to have signal or a device connected to more than one input on the television and have both inputs selected to display the information going to them. Here is an example. Lets say you have an HD cable box connected to your television and you would like to have more than one channel displayed on the screen in order to keep an eye on both football games at the same time. With one device connected thats not going to work out the way our TV functions. What you want to do is get a coaxial splitter and two extra coaxial cables, these can be found anywhere home theater equipment is sold. Then follow these steps.
1. Turn off both your cable box and television.
2. Take the coaxial cable that comes OUT from the wall and connects to the IN of your cable box and disconnect it.
3. Connect that cable to the IN on your coaxial splitter.
4. Connect your two extra coaxial cables to the OUTs on your coaxial splitter. We will call them cable 1 and Cable 2, just because.
5. Connect cable 1 directly to the DTV/TV input on your television.
6. Connect Cable 2 directly to the IN on your cable box, this will be the same connection you removed it from in step #2. Your HD cable box should still be connected to your television with either an HDMI cable or Component cables (Identified by thier Green, Red, Blue colors for video and Red and White cables for audio.)
7. Power on both the cable box and your television. Using the INPUT button on your VIZIO remote select the input connection where your cable box is located your cable box picture should come up on the Main screen.
8. Press the PIP button on your VIZIO remote to bring up the small box in the corner. Press the PIP input button until you select the TV input and you should be ready to go. You may need to perform a channel scan with your TV tuner to locate all available channels before you do this step. In order to understand better how to perform a channel scan please check under the F.A.Q.s in the discussion area of your particular model television.
In order to change channels in the small screen use the PIP CH - and +
buttons located near the bottom of the remote. You can swap picture in
the Main and Sub screens using the swap button and swap which screen
will sound off its audio by using the AUDIO button. You might notice an
X next to some of the selections in the INPUT and PIP INPUT screens
when you have PIP activated. That means that input selection is
unavailable and can not be used. For example if you have the input TV
selected on your main screen. If you press the PIP INPUT button and
bring up that input menu you will see X's next to the TV and AV
selections. The X's mean that when you have TV on the main screen you
wont be able to use TV or AV on the small screen. Instead you would need to use any of the input selections that do not have an X attached to them. PIP like this is not possible using any dish or satellite broadcasting companies as all of their signals must go through their boxes to be decoded. The televisions internal tuner can not handle those signals and turn them into anything watchable. If you are using one of these companies contact them to see if they offer a set top box that does PIP on its own and doesn't need the televisions help to accomplish it.