On the Xbox 360, you'll have two choices of service level: Xbox Live
Silver and Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live Silver will offer limited Xbox
Live functionality at no cost, while the Gold package will be a fully
functional pay service.
The Xbox Live Silver service means you can connect your Xbox 360
console to a broadband Internet connection and get functionality right
out of the box without having to pay any amount of money.
With Xbox Live Silver you can:
- Create an online Gamer Profile
- Access the Xbox Live Marketplace
- Engage in voice and text messaging
- Talk to a single friend at a time using voice chat
- Receive video messages from Gold level members
- Access massively multiplayer online games (additional fees may apply)
The Xbox Live Gold is similar to the current paid Xbox Live service.
The Xbox Live Gold service delivers the complete online connection
package. With Xbox Live Gold you have all the features of Silver level,
- Play multiplayer games online
- Video chat
- Multiplayer online tournaments
- Participate in Xbox Live online programming, such as Game with Fame, Play and Win, and Prime Time activities.
Hope this clarifies things for you.