It will play DVD's & CD's.But NO games!
I HOPE EVERYONE READS THIS AS IT'S LIKELY A (FREE) SOLUTION TO YOUR WOES.
My ps3 recently conked out on me and the local game store (and the internet) told me it was a broken laser.
I told them that I couldn't play video games, not even ps2 games, but
that dvd's could still be watched (check to see if you can do this).
They still said it was a broken laser.
When I found out it would be 140 bucks to have it replaced and installed I decided to just download some demos.
HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING.
I went on the playstation network (psn) and downloaded a game demo,
installed it, and played it. When I quit out of the demo, the laser was
reading and I could play games!
When I turned off the system and tried again the next day, again it didn't work.
I followed the same process. Went into a downloaded game, this time
quit right after the demo loaded, and sure enough, the laser was
Every time I quit a game I have to follow this process, but every time it works, too.
1. download and install a psn game or game demo
2. put the disc of the game you want to play
3. load the psn game or demo as if you were going to play it
4. quit the demo as soon as you get to the start menu of it
5. go and play the game you wanted to, sucka, cause it works now!!!
I hope this works for you, and if it does, spread the word!