I had been gone from my home for about 8 months. My camera had a fully charged battery in it when I left. Today I picked the camer up and turned it on to find that the battery was dead - ok. I placed a fully charged battery in the camera and turned it on. The lens comes out just as normal but when I look through the viewfinder all is see is black except for the information that is displayed at the bottom or sides. I rest the settings through the menu and still nothing. The LCD works in the same manner. If I point it toward a light in the room I see a vertical line but no image through both viewfinder and LCD. When I takke a picture it appears just as it would normally but the image is streaked and appears fuzzy or a little out of focus. I have not tried to upload the images to the computer. The camera has not been beaten around or anything harsh so this has me very puzzled since it worked perfectly when I set it down. Am I missing something here or is there anything you can suggest. I hate to have to send it out for repair.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Viewfinder Blank but shows information
From your description it would seem that the shutter component in your lens has failed. Although it is a little strange because the two symptoms you describe are not usually seen at the same time. The fuzzy pictures with streaks on them is a result of a shutter that doesn't close properly, the black screen with just the camera system text on it is a symptom of a shutter that is not opening properly.
As for what caused the problem - possibly corrosion or contamination. Was the camera exposed to excessive humidity in the time it was unused? The shutter components are extremely delicate and can easily become stuck or sticky. This is what I believe has happened to your camera. It may not have failed completely but it may be sticking open or closed such that it is not performing its intended function.
This will require full disassembly by a professional.
Advance Camera Repair
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The Display is OLED and when it is off it is really OFF.
This camera has FIVE (5) Brightness levels for the display. The Brightness is usually set in the TOOL (wrench) menu.
If you are positive the batteries are good, fresh and or fully charged it is MY OPINION that the camera is non functional. The Viewfinder is critical for camera operation. Sorry I am not much help here it seems this camera needs either repair or replacement.
Is it possibly a menu setting which has inadvertently been changed?
There is also another response on this forum dealing with batteries which have been recalled - has this any relevance in your situation ?
Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if there is no picture or a black screen appears in the viewfinder or LCD when attempting to record. NOTES:
* Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the viewfinder or LCD status after completing each step. * It may be necessary to refer to the operating instructions provided with the camcorder for information on how to perform a task on your specific model.
1. Ensure the lens cap on the front of the camcorder has been removed. 2. Ensure a fully-charged battery is inserted in the camcorder. 3. Ensure the STANDBY/LOCK switch is set to the STANDBY position. 4. Turn on the camcorder and set it to the CAMERA mode. 5. Look to see if an image can be seen in the viewfinder or LCD. IMPORTANT: Some camcorders have both a viewfinder and LCD. To conserve power, the viewfinder and LCD will not display at the same time. To use the viewfinder, the LCD must be closed. 6. If the issue is not resolved, reset the camcorder to factory specifications. NOTE: If the issue is still unresolved after completing the troubleshooting steps, service may be required .
Hi When the LCD screen is open the viewfinder will switch of and when it is closed the viewfinder will switch on. You can switch between the two by pressing Monitor select button to the left of the Eyepiece (Viewfinder). as you look at the back of the camera.