I have a GE Spacemaker microwave. I had several appliances going on one circuit and I turned the light on to the microwave. It tripped the breaker and shot the surface bulbs. I replaced the bulbs but they still do not work. Everything else on the microwave works including the exhaust fan. I was told it might be the circuit board but can't understand why the exhaust fan still works. Could it be the socket holder of the light bulbs? One seems a little brittle.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: GE Microwave Surface Lights
The control circuits for the cooktop lights and the hood fan are spearate. The problem is indeed with the control unit.
It's usually caused by either the filaments shorting when the lamp blows or by removing or installing the bulbs while the oven is still plugged into the power line.
We regularly repair these nationwide for $32.50.
Details of our service, as well as *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When the microwave sounds okay, but there's no heat, one of the internal door switches, the high voltage circuitry, or the circuit board may have a problem. To resolve this problem, you need the assistance of a qualified appliance repair technician.
Unfortunately they are controlled by the circuit board and it is not repairable. The board will have to be replaced.Depending on age of unit you should call manufacturer and see what they say < might repair free>
That would almost certainly be a problem on the control circuit board.
If the bulbs happen to short / blow out or if they are removed or installed while the microwave is still plugged in, there is often an arc which causes damage to the board.
We repair regularly these boards for such problems for $32.50 nationwide.