An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: maytag microwave model#mmv500adb
A bad keypad may be worn out due to age, damaged, or it may have gotten wet or otherwise contaminated.
Moisture and contamination can be caused by not using the hood fan when boiling on the stove top, spraying of cleaners, by storing the microwave in an unheated garage or shed, or infestation.
I warn my customers to never spray cleaner directly onto the microwave keypad, since the liquid can get inside and "lock up" or even ruin the keypad or controller.
Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) to a cloth (since paper towels can scratch) and gently wipe it off.
I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your base model number (without the suffix) here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It could be the pads themselves. The touch pads are notorious for going bad. The light staying on could be a bad door switch. Check there first. There are three switches in the door interlock assembly. One of them could be causing the unit not to reset so it can cook.
Replace the magnetron, safety fuse and diode as a set and check the door interlock switches. That should get it working for another year or so. Don't forget microwave mains fuses are special sand filled and semisurge type.
Check the back panel for a breaker reset. If none, remove the case cover (pull the plug) and look for any blown fuses. If look ok, then check the interlock switch(es) for function when the door is closed. They are micro-switches and should make a distinct 'click' when operated. If you find a blown fuse, replace the high voltage diode in the magnetron power supply and replace the 'stirrer' (a fan-like device located under the sheet metal wave guide where the microwave energy enters the cooking cavity). It has a plastic bearing that can arc across inside it and short the energy out.
This microwave has three door interlock switches and a fuse that are easily replaced by the consumer. Unplug the microwave. Remove the cover by unscrewing the 5 screws on the cover. Four are on the back, one on the lower right. One or more of the screws may be torx T15S (security)(bit available at hardware stores). As in all microwaves the capacitor should be discharged by shorting the cap terminals together. Note that the three switches are in a single black plastic carrier. Remove the two screws securing the carrier and the switches can be released by hand. Replace one at a time so as not to confuse the wiring which is push on spade terminals. Replace the fuse with a 20 amp 125v slow blow (radio shack). Do not plug in power until all the switches are reinstalled as a safety feature will cause the fuse to blow again. If fuse blows repeatedly it is most likely that all three interlock switches are not closing properly. Check to make sure that all switches are seated correctly in the black plastic switch carrier and that the 2 carrier screws are tight. Observe the switches as the door is closed. Replace switches and/or carrier as needed. While the cover is off you may want to clean off the fan and/or replace the bulb. Also check for proper seating of the control board connections.