Question about Kenmore 60659 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Microwave Dead after burning up potato

I've had this built-in over-the-range microwave for more than 3 years. It has always been reliable. Recently, I tried baking/cooking one small to average size potato. I realize now that I probably set the timer for too many minutes. I had set it for 10 minutes on full power, because earlier the same day I cooked about 4 or 5 potatoes in a different microwave at work and the smaller ones turned out just fine. Anyway, smoke poured out of the microwave, there is some smoke soot inside the microwave, and the potatoe sort of looked like a large piece of charcoal. Ever since then, the microwave is totally dead. Nothing on it works. I checked the fuse on my electric box and it seems to be ok. Is there something I might be able to do to fix the microwave, or do you think it is repairable at all? I hope it can be fixed as the cost and installation of a new one will be more than $400.

Posted by Adlai New on

Ad

2 Answers

Anonymous

I had the same problem, technician said it was the thermostat, once replaced it worked fine.

Posted on Sep 11, 2007

Ad

William Miller

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 9,179 Answers

Chances are the magnetron overheated and blew the thermostat / thermal cutout that monitors it. The magnetron itself may be bad, too. If Sears Service might consider this still under magnetron warranty, then they may replace the mag with no part costs (or just the thermal cutout part cost), but likely would charge labor. You can contact customer service or repair via http://www.sears.com Otherwise, if you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your base model number (without the suffix) here: http://www3.sears.com or likely cheaper here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

Posted on Feb 07, 2007

Ad

Add Your Answer

×

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

0helpful
1answer

I bought a Gallery microwave built-in about a year ago. Soon after we tried to use the potato fuction and the sensor malfunctioned. It filled my house with smoke.tt

I'm no expert with microwaves but I always go online to
"Repair clinic" Be sure to have the manufacturer, the model number & serial number. I have found this site to to be most useful when fixing most household appliances.
0helpful
1answer

Microwave starts by itself

Likely a microprocessor/control panel issue. Microwave ovens that sit over ranges often have electronic failures due to heat, humidity, and grease, from the range below, which come into contact with their main circuit boards.

If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/david_29ad5d1dd86564b0

0helpful
1answer

MAYTAG MICROWAVE OVEN ARCING FOOD ON PLATE, HEATS EXTREMLY FAST. PUT BABY FOOD (SWEET POTATOES ON A PLATE AND WITHIN 5 SECS THE FOODS BEGINGS TO ARC AND BURN

The magnetron is getting to hot and will eventually fail, especially when it is arcing, "a safety issue convern" the cause is the part mentioned above, or there is exposed metal on the inside cavity.
0helpful
1answer

I have a 3-year old Amana microwave installed above my stove. Last night I was baking two potatoes in the microwave. I noticed that the microwave sounded "louder" than normal. After about 13...

No! But it will need to be repaired. Did you wrap the potatoes in tin foil? The reason for the smoke needs to be found and repaired. Smoking means a short or a part shorted, failed, or wires touching another wire that did not blow any fuss.That is not good.
Trained technicians can help the mfg improve their products if they find the problem and report it to the Mfg.
LOL
0helpful
1answer

Get rid of burned smell in Microwave

I decided to buy a new microwave. I am resistant to paying a monthly fee to FixYa as I have so few "breakdowns" in my house each year.
0helpful
1answer

Baked potatoes went up in flames now microwave has no power no lights. power outlet has 110v ac

Were the potatoes wrapped in foil? If so, the megatron tube was burned out. Replace unit.
Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 60659 Microwave Oven Logo

229 views

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

Michael Thomas
Michael Thomas

Level 3 Expert

3056 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1482 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6373 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...