My RCA is 2 1/2 years old, not under warranty anymore. Yesterday I heard loud noise, I jumped up and looked behind. There were sparks coming out of the back. I unplugged it. It is going to cost $100.00 just to get it looked at. Is it worth fixing? or Should I just replace it?
The high voltage transformer could be the cause and isn't that tough to replace on RCA's. The units I have seen "spark" have had holes in the side of the transformer which allows 30KV to find its path to ground anyway it can. I wouldn't suggest just the average person attempt this repair though.
Was there actually power when the Television was sparking? I would suggest replacing the power module and having someone test the voltage coming out of the plug it was plugged into did it trip the breaker?
Usually answered in minutes!