Upgrade the Firmware of the router :
First you should check the version of you WPN824 (v1,v2 or v3). If there are no Version after the model number, it should be a version 1. Download the Firmware of your router given the correct version at this link : http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824.asp
This is assuming that other wireless laptops has the same problem onyour wireless router. If other Laptops works great on your wirelessrouter without dropping any wireless connection, then you shouldconsider upgrading the wireless adapter on you own laptop.
***(If you haven't tried connecting otherwireless laptop wirelessly to the netgear, then you should try it firstto be sure that the netgear is the problem
Steps on how to upgrade Netgear firmware :
- Download the correct file depending on your location and unzip the file to a convenient place such as your desktop.
- Log in the router at http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 (or www.routerlogin.net ) (Which ever will work)
- Default User name : admin / password : password
- Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade.
- Click Browse and locate the file you just downloaded.
- Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
***Therouter reboots when the upgrade is complete.
***Tocheck that the upgrade was successful, log in to the router again at http://192.168.1.1
and check the firmware version.
***DONOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE USING A WIRELESS LAPTOP/PC