IPod Nano startup
Have you tried The Famous 5 Ipod R's?
1. Reset your iPod, iPod nano, iPod mini( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705 ), or iPod shuffle ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300595 ).
2. Retry your iPod with a different USB or FireWire port on your computer (please note that the latest iPods can only be synced through USB).
3. Restart your computer, and make sure that you have the latest software updates installed.
4. Reinstall your iPod and iTunes software. You can download the latest versions of iPod Updater (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/ ) and iTunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ ) from our website.
5. Restore your iPod using the latest iPod Updater. Important: Please note that restoring (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983 ) an iPod will erase all songs and files on your iPod and restore it back to its original settings. Make a backup of any files on your iPod before restoring it. After restoring, you can transfer your music and files from your computer back to your iPod again.
Watch the Five Rs performance in action! (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t16.html)
Did it help any?