Question about Westpoint TV-258 Microwave Oven
Hi, I have the Westpoint TV-258 (claims to be 1,200 W) white microwave. I need some guidance on opening and I suppose repairing the turning motor under the microwave. Problem: The motor is sputtering and at times is making a noise. This is causing the tray to come off the gear inside the microwave. I'm assuming it's a matter of time until this only gets worse. Solutions? What do I need to know about being safe when working on a microwave and does anyone have any advice on this motor problem? Does Westpoint even have a website or documents? Thanks Jules
It could be the motor failing (gears jamming due to internal damage or bad grease, perhaps) or the turntable coupler or support may have gotten warped due to heat. One test is to gently but firmly grab the coupler or turntable support and try to turn the motor. A good motor will offer resistance and "whirr" as you turn it. A bad motor will grind or click, etc. I would call Westpoint (see your owner's manual) and they can tell you if the parts are available and what they'd cost. Other listings seems to indicate this is an 800W microwave. And I would bet that parts may not be easily available. The turntable can usually be replaced from the bottom without taking the wrapper off. Once you've found out about parts availability, feel free to drop by my site (see my profile) to get my microwave safety and disassembly texts.
Posted on Jan 12, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Basic Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Most major manufacturers supply manuals
online so if you were to log on to the manufacturer's web site, you
may be pleasantly surprised as usually, if available, one is able to
download, by model number, Customer
Instruction Manuals, Dealer
Network for spare part supplies as
The information is normally free of
I hope this helps.
Dead appliance, power on wall outlet.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT!
this only if you are competent.
your appliance has absolutely no functions at all, remove it from the
mains supply, remove the case and see where the mains lead goes in to
the appliance and follow the cable until you find the main fuse.
ONLY USE THE SAME TYPE AND RATING OF FUSE TO REPLACE IT.
The usual cause of this fuse failure is the door switches are contaminated or sticking. Check the door switches before putting power back on to the appliance.
Hope this helps.
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: