Question about RCA F32444 32" TV

1 Answer

Tv wont turn on

I have a RCA 32" model F32444. when i plug it in a high pitch chirp comes from the circut board and none of the controls work. Is it time for a new plasma? Thanks

Posted by Brad Stafford on

  • 2 more comments 
  • Brad Stafford Jan 15, 2007

    How hard is it to replace, where can i get one and how much would it cost. thanks

  • Brad Stafford Jan 16, 2007

    gazer... my electronic background is limited... Will the transistor be a direct replacement.. meaning color for color so i can identify it? the transformer will probably look the same...Right? I have a friend with steady hands... sounds easy enough.. and it sounds like your pretty confident that this is the problem.. i think its worth a try. THANKS!!!

  • Brad Stafford Jan 16, 2007

    where on the circuit board is the transistor... all of them have #'s, none are described as the horizontal output one. I dont have a wiring digram. Most have a 4 digit code next to them. THANKS AGAIN

  • JCB58 Feb 18, 2008

    I replaced the HOT and the fly-back transformer using generic parts. My TV now turns on but has horizontal lines across the screen...Turning the adjusting screw on the fly-back transformer counter clockwise makes it come in the best, and clockwise loses the picture completely. Ends up going to a blue screen. Any suggestion???



1 Answer

Simpson Neal

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

  • Expert
  • 236 Answers

A high pitched chirp is a sign that you have a short on the load of your power supply. I just finished repairing one of these sets and it had a shorted horizontal output transistor and a bad flyback transformer.

Posted on Jan 12, 2007

  • 1 more comment 
  • Simpson Neal Jan 16, 2007

    The flyback for this TV is available from:
    Surburban Electronic,Suitland,Md, 20746
    Phone: 1-800-341-5353
    Part# GEN257805 @ 18.95
    Horizontal Output transistor: 2SC5148 @ 1.98.

    If you're experienced at changing parts this is not too difficult to do.FIRST, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT UNPLUGGED!!!!!
    You have to remove the main circuit board and use solder wick to remove these parts.
    You need to be careful when unhooking the big red wire going into the top of the picture tube
    since it may have a charge stored in it. Use a jumper cable with a screw driver hooked to one end. Clip one end of the jumper to the gound wire on the outside of the tube and push the blade of the screw driver under the rubber cup where the red lead goes into the tube. If any charge is there you'll hear a "snap". This should discharge any voltage stored up in the tube.
    There are several cables connected to the circuit board. You need to remember where they plug. You might want to draw a picture of where
    they plug to the circuit board.
    Once you've got everything installed,double check all the cables that you unhooked. Make sure all grounds are connected. This is very important.
    When you're sure everything is connected correctly you may power up the set. If you don't hear the squeal like you did before, then it'll probably come on. If the screen is dark you need to turn up the screen control which is located on the transformer you just replaced. It's the bottom one. The top one is the focus control. You need to watch the screen while making these adjustments.
    This FLYBACK is a generic. It seems that it is difficult to get one from RCA. I think they want us to just throw their sets away and buy a new one.

    I hope this information will help you!
    Good luck and be careful!

  • Simpson Neal Jan 16, 2007

    The transformer is a different color but will physically fit right into the holes in the circuit board. All connections are the same.
    The transistor is identical to the original transistor.It is a black plastic case transistor with just 3 leads to connect. Like most transistors.The 2SC5148 is written right on the transistor.
    Good luck !

  • Simpson Neal Jan 17, 2007

    Hello,Hack !
    Sorry I didn't tell you where the transistor is located.
    I forget the reference number but it is located near the flyback transformer. It is on about 2" X 2 1/2" piece of aluminum which stands up and the transistor is held to the aluminum by a black flat spring clip. YOU can see the number when you remove the spring clip. You un-hook one end of this clip and swing it out of the way or remove it to release the transistor. It would be a good idea to put a little heat sink compound between the transistor and aluminum to make a good thermal connection between the transistor and the aluminum heat sink.When you put it back. It is important to clamp the transistor to the aluminum (heat sink) to keep the transistor from getting too hot and destroying itself.The three leads go through the circuit board. You turn over the board to use solder wick to remove the solder from the leads.
    Also there is a black "L" shaped plastic bar which clips to the top of the fly back to help stabilize it on the circuit board. You need to remove this to get the flyback off the board.Of course you un-solder the flyback's leads first.
    At each end of this "bar" is a twist lock sticking up through it. Just use a pair of pliers to untwist the tabs at each end so that this 'bar' can be pulled up from the fly back and circuit board.
    If I can help you in any way, let me know!




Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I own an 32 inch RCA TV Model No. F32444 one day

The TV has burned out.......Don't switch it back on again unless you want to get electrocuted, or burn your house down

Jan 19, 2010 | RCA F32444 32" TV

1 Answer

RCA 32'' TV making a humming noise

sounds like a shorted horizontal output transistor probably caused by the high voltage transformer or hot. it is most likely fixable but it will be costly.

Aug 19, 2009 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

RCA TV dead

If this is a crt type tv. This could be attributed to a faulty high voltage circuit. A defective horizontal output transistor or the flyback. Or better to check some minor component with regards to flyback like diodes.

May 06, 2009 | RCA F32444 32" TV

1 Answer

RCA TV Model F32444 Will not power on

The noise you are hearing is probably the degauss (it demagnetises the screen every startup). The most likely problem is the power supply. Do a replacement of all the caps on the powersupply board and it will likely fix your problem. Because it still has power to the degauss coils it hasn't blown the fuse. Power supply not starting like that is usually caused by a small electrolytic capacitor near the heatsink on the mains side of the powersupply. They can be replaced for about 10 cents.
Hope this helps

Feb 14, 2009 | RCA F32444 32" TV

1 Answer

TV does not turn on. When plugged into an outlet makes a high pitch noise.

Your problem is a shorted horizontal output transistor C5148 located behind the highvoltage transformer on a heat sink with a clip over it and you can't see the number unless you remove the clip Has to be unsolded and solder in new. Also the highvoltage transformer must be replaced This is the big part with the large red wire coming out and going to the top of the picture tube. Must be unsoldered and replaced with original RCA not get a replacement It has several connections plus three wires to connect to it and I recommend using desoldering brad can get at Radio Shack 5 foot roll. Well as you can see it gets pretty involved. You can't get the parts from most distributors unless you have a business. If he tackles it and has a distributor the parts would run about $50 to $60 and a repairman average should be less than $200 and more than $150 hope this helps. Contact me for any questions you may have. I am more than willing to help.

Dec 30, 2007 | RCA F32650 32" TV

1 Answer

RCA 61" Model P61960 stopped working

You have a flyback transformer and horz output transistor bad

Nov 04, 2007 | RCA P61960 61" Rear Projection Television

1 Answer

Can't View Cable RCA f32444

You will have to go in the menu and switch it to cable mode, then do an autoprogram and you will have all the channels.

Sep 04, 2007 | RCA F32444 32" TV

1 Answer


I have seen some RCA TV's with this problem and it has usually been a switch going bad on the keypad of the tv. This can be confirmed by disconnecting the plug from the control panel to the main chassis.If you are lucky, and the ir rcvr for the remote is not on the control board, you can still control tv with the remote.Good luck.

Jul 25, 2007 | RCA F32444 32" TV

3 Answers

TV screen wont turn on but just a loud noise coming from the tv

I think maybe the G-board needs to be replaced. A TV shop will have to repair it. They normally start around $200.00

Jul 02, 2007 | Panasonic CT-32G23 32" TV

1 Answer

F32560 Rca Chirping

Replace IHVT aka flyback xformer part#257805 and horiz o/p xistor part # 237470.

Nov 30, 2006 | RCA F32650 32" TV

Not finding what you are looking for?
RCA F32444 32" TV Logo

Related Topics:

248 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top RCA Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

76518 Answers

matt martin
matt martin

Level 3 Expert

1258 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6238 Answers

Are you a RCA Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides