Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
I have a similar model. Mine is a GE Profile built in 1995. The model is J VM 260WV 001. I have read some of the tips for repair, so I removed the key pad panel ( 1 screw ) and found that my unit has 3 switches in the door that all appear the same. The top one is used to work the light. The middle one I am not sure of however it has the heavy wiring. The bottom one works the fan. I figure that the middle one would be my problem. So, I unhooked the wires and plugged them into the switch for the light. What happened was the fan came on as did the oven, I still however did not get any heat. I saw a fuse with 2 terminals, I unplugged it and the oven light went out. Any ideas? It is old and may just need to be tossed, I just do not have to change the entire unit. Thanks for the help. Rod
The top switch is not just for the light and the bottom one is not just for the fan. It is not safe to swap wires around. It's a wonder you didn't blow the fuse. All GEs come with an envelope inside that contains a wiring diagram. If the fuse is blown, the entire unit would be dead. If all the switches audibly click, they may be okay, but you also need to check for signs of melting or arcing on the terminals. If the switches are okay then the most liekly possibilites are the magnetron or a loose connection on the magnetron. I will not advise you to work in that area of the microwave. The voltages inside the microwave can be instantly lethal.
Posted on Jan 05, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: