My GE jvm1440, which we've had for maybe 15 mos. or so, just started making a loud humming noise while running. It doesn't heat, even though everything else appears to be working normally. The humming noise starts a few seconds after the microwave starts. Please help! Thanks.
Thank you for the information. I too have had the same problem with my microwave but mine is the model before this one. I am starting to wonder if it is just GE appliances in general that are the problem.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Word has it that many of these models have a defect which causes the microwave energy to be reflected back to the magnetron, causing damage to the magnetron, and eventually damaging the high-voltage diode too.
Also, the fuse or the magnetron theral cutout / thermostat can eventually blow, too.
There is a replacement magnetron and stirrer kit available.
I would definitely call the GE Answer Center at 800-626-2005 about this. It's not considered a recall, but a "campaign".
They may pick up part of the cost. It's not cheap.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The diode that connects to the capacitor needs to be replaced. Once its replaced microwave will begin to heat again. (If it wasn't heating and wasn't making a humming noise, then your magnetron would need to be replaced). If you are thinking of doing it yourself and need instructions, i'll be glad to help.
The part that you did not replace is the problem with the oven, the magnetron. It typically fails and shorts out, causing the oven to make a loud humming noise. Not worth fixing since the cost of the magnetron is typically as much as a new oven. Sorry that you spent your time an money replacing the wrong parts.
From your description it sounds like the magnetron has failed in this oven. That's the part the makes the microwaves to heat the food. It typically fails by shorting out and making a loud hum noise. It not usually worth fixing since the price of a replacement magnetron is almost as much as a new oven.
To allow us to help you effectively (at no charge), please post a NEW problem to FixYa, and please
include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on
the unit, your symptoms, as well as the answers to this question: - Is there any unusual noise or is it louder or quieter than normal?
We have a sound clip here of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are working.
(A loud buzz, hum, or groan is usually a
shorted high voltage rectifier diode, but a sound like gurgling into an
empty coffee mug is one symptom of a failed magnetron, and yet the mag can
be bad without that sound.)
You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or www.geappliances.com) or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.
latest development: microwave is now dead. maybe a fuse? any thoughts? thanks again...
I have the exact same problem, worked fine and then started to smell of burning wires and a low hummmmm.
I had the same problem. The burning smell was an overheating diode caused by a shorted high voltage transformer. I replaced both.