I have a ge jvm1653 it is less than a year old about a week ago it started to lose the date and time every so often even when I know that we didn't have a power failure. Today it doesn't work inside at all, All the ouside buttons appear to work hasn't lost the date and time The inside light doesn't even come on when you open the door and when you start it on express or regular all it does is the timer counts down. The vent fan works and the lights over the range work. I tried unplugging it and resetting the date and time still does the same thing. What could it be?
You should try the soultion of posted at the link below of putting the control board at a 45 degree angle. It worked for mine but I still don't know why it works.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: inside of microwave doesn't work
I'm hearing of this more and more, and I'm begining to be concerned that a recall or "campaign" by GE may be in order!
Since your is less than a year old, it should be in warranty.
If so (or even if it's not) I would strongly suggest that you call the GE Answer Center at 800-626-2005 to tell them abou tyour unit and ask them all about this.
Please do let us know here what you find out!
Assuming your power, circuit breaker, and outlet are all okay, then the problem is inside the oven.
Some of the many problems inside the microwave which could cause this are loose or intermittent power cord, fuse, fuse holder, thermostat / thermal cutout, wiring, circuit board power part, or the code in the microprocessor.
But the last one is the one I'm most concerned about.
The others just aren't very likely unless there has been a breakdown in the design or manufacturing process.
Post back if you need more help, but please do let us know here what you find out.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
it may have been the hi voltage at the magnetron,but the shut down is your heat thermocouple mounted on the magnetron side and when the mag overheats this thermocouple opens up and shuts off power to the mag to prevent overheating and fire
Take the 2 screws out of the top outside grill. Take the 1 screw out of
the top of the control panel. Lift the panel slightly and it will tilt
out and hang there. Try a cook cycle with the panel in this position.
If it works, your problem is interference from your magnetron. It is
very common on these units. I do not recommend adding EMI shielding
with tin foil as many have been suggesting on the help sites. If you
are still under warranty, call GE. If not, call GE and threaten to sue.
This is a known problem with these units and they should have been
Your magnetron tube is leaking RF energy inside and zapping the main board. It is NOT dangerous as any leakage will be contained inside the unit. You will need a new mag tube and it is covered by a 5 or 10 year parts warranty. Call GE Factory Service at 1-800-432-2737or schedule online at www.geappliances.com
Your magnetron tube has failed. According to the warranty on the Profile Series microwave ovens, the magnetron is covered for 5 years from the date of purchase, but labor is not included. I would call GE Customer Service and when they ask for the model number (which begins with JVM) and the serial number, be sure to give the date of purchase as the date you closed on your house. If they insist upon charging you for a service call and labor, I would call my builder's Customer Service Department and demand (very nicely) that they intervene with GE to waive the service and labor charges. That worked for me (Lennar Homes).
It sounds like it is momentarily losing supply voltage, in other words, like unplugging it and plugging it back in. Check your plug in at the outlet to make sure it is tight. If that doesn't help, then a service call may be in order as something may be loose inside the service area.