When cooking, I heard a "pop" in the vent area when I first turned the microwave on, and now the microwave won't heat food. I did not hear the pop in subsequent tries, although I still can't heat. Could this be a door switch problem?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Pop in the vent area followed by no heating
This is not likely a door switch problem. That pop was probably a part blowing, most likely the high voltage rectifier diode.
If you or a friend want to check into and repair this, here is a good link for safety info & do-it-yourself info:
Find & buy GE repair parts here:
If that isn't it, please repost with new details. Good luck and be safe.
Your rating of this answer is appreciated.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This is normal. Kenmore microwaves will stay running with fan and light on for a short time after food is cooked. The reason is to air out the microwave after cooking. Things like pop corn, Bacon etc. have strong smells after cooking. The ventilation helps to remove odors.
Remove the cover and look for a blown fuse. If found, replace the high voltage diode and the 'stirrer' (a fan like device that is inside the sheet metal wave guide near the area where the microwave energy enters the cooking cavity).
The loud pop was almost certainly the high voltage diode going bad.
To find parts, I suggest you call the number on your owner's manual or check with the store where you bought it.
Sunbeam may not make this part available, so be prepared. Maybe they have authorized servicers in your area. Ask them about that.
It sounds like you're saying a flame and pop came out of the area where the internal electronics are?
If that's the case, then I would suspect a failed high-voltage transformer, bad magnetron or that another high-voltage component is arcing, like maybe damaged wiring, but that's rare unless...
... I hate to suggest it, but maybe a "critter" has made his way into the high-voltage section! That can cause some really "interesting" effects!
If the flame and pop are coming out of the cooking cavity, then it could be food debris or grease underneath the waveguide cover or in the waveguide.
I would say the likliest cause is a failed HV transformer. If it's still under warranty, I'd call Sears right away to verify that.
If it's not under warranty, you may want to pull it from the wall yourself and take it in to Sears or another shop yourself. You'll probably save about $50 as opposed to letting them come out to the home to service it.