mine can boot to 7 things, not just the first hard disk.
usb mem, sd, hdd0,1,CD, and more..
stated by you of th 10,000 models. 1984 to now.
, 14 versions exist.
when you turn the PC the booting is a serial process. (ends at windows login screen)
first it runs BIOS< ROM,
the BIOS ROM, runs POST, (self tests and Plug and PLay)
then BIOS jumps to the first thing in the list (boot order)
and boots to the HDD #0 (default ) F9 key I can change that.' on the fly...
so first is what:?
- if a laptop get that bad main battery out first, now
- use AC power pack only, NOW. lap or desk top.
- does the PCs fan run? (my desk top has 4) if not, power is bad.
- does the CD eject? (button) if not power is bad.
- does the screen ever show text? like Hit ESC to enter SETUP?> as it did every day since new?
- if yes, good, no bad. (bad CCFL lamps>)?
- yes, then see if ESC works, F10 , F1 info page work in BIOS.
- yes, good, see , now you can boot to 7 things if want.
- but if the HDD is bad, you cant boot to that. if its bad.
- we run HDD test no as shown on the HP page on topic.
- then we try (2006 and newer) the F11 magic recover method.
if the PC is older than 2010, it can in fact have bad CCFL lamps
even PC that are desk tops , the eternal monitor same.
the flash light test. pre 2010 PCs