Question about GE JVM1650SH Microwave Oven
If you can't fel the cooling fan blowing air out the back, then that increases the chance you have a bad magnetron. Since this is 1-1/2 months old, it is still under warranty. I would call GE or Sears for warranty service. If you break any seals opening it up, you'll void the warranty. It's almost certainly not the capacitor, those virtually always short when they fail, resulting in a blown fuse. If the transformer's bad, there is often the smell of electrical burning, but the cooling fan may weaken the smell. Try smelling the fan exhaust after it has run. It's most likely the magnetron, from my experience, but it could be a shorted HV diode. Some GE models sem to have had a batch of bad magnetrons, but I don't know if they have publicly acknowledged that. Again, since it's under warranty, the best bet is to call the manufacturer or an authorized GE servicer. You can find those numbers in your owner's manual and need to have your sales receipt handy of course when you call. Good luck.
Posted on Oct 18, 2006
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: