Question about Panasonic NN-H965 Microwave Oven
My microwave stopped working completely on it's own? I went to use it and it wasn't working, tried plugging it into another outlet, still dead! It is a year old. Any ideas what is wrong. Thanks, L
It may have a blown fuse or - assuming yours is a model NN-H965 - a defective inverter. The fuse is generally located on the bottom of the chassis of the microwave. You have to remove the outer cover on a counter top model - or the front panel assembly on an over-the-range model. There are several reasons why it may blow. If the fuse is loose in the holder, the fuse and the holder should both be replaced. If - with the microwave disconnected from the wall - you can easily turn the fuse with your fingers while it's in the holder, then it's too loose. What happens is the loose connection generates too much heat, causing it to melt internally. If so, you'll usually see a ball of solder at a point where the cap meets the body of the fuse. If the fuse blows as soon as you plug the oven in the wall, or when you open the door, the problem is likely with the door switches. You can find my files "doorsw.txt" and "safety'txt" via Google. They give you the safety warnings and cover the diagnosis and replacement of the door switches. If the fuse blows as soon as you hit START, then it's likely that you have a shorted high-voltage capacitor. If the fuse blows a few seconds after you hit START, then it's likely that you have an overheating / shorting high-voltage transformer. While an inverter (switched-mode power supply) is more efficient from a power consumption standpoint, it is more complex, thus more statistically prone to fail. These should only be examined and worked on by someone who has the necessary technical qualifications. Seriously. Often the machine-soldered connections in a microwave inverter are too weak, so they eventually fail, especially if heat is high in the area. They sometimes fail catastrophically. When not catastrophically damaged, you may hear clicking and may smell an electrical odor, which is sometimes obscured by the cooling fan. Some manufacturers do not encourage or assist technicians to repair microwave inverters. They offer the inverter as a whole assembly. But sometimes that is actually cheaper than the time and labor required to fix the old one. If a technician is willing and able to troubleshoot and repair the inverter to component level, it will may be expensive, but may be worth it, especially if he or she will resolder and reinforce connections as needed as part of a thorough repair. That could easily make your inverter beter than a new one! You might be able to get some verbal estimates if you call Panasonic-authorized repair shops and ask then specifically about inverter repair and inverter replacement costs for your model number. Be safe!
Posted on Oct 14, 2006
Light went out/I removed panel over the housing where the red fuse [I think it is the fuse]is located. The location is inside and very hard to get at. I can only get a single finger in the hole and then don't know what to do. It seems solid but I can't tell. Please, what do I have to do to get the light to work. /s/John Bridell, as harrybatt @comcast.net
Posted on Mar 08, 2009
This is an inverter-driven model, and this is one way the inverter fails. Often it will tick, too, but the cooling fan may be too loud to hear ticking. If you haven't had smoke, then it may not yet catastrophic. I would bet that a thorough resoldering would take care of it. A good technician can troubleshoot and repair this, as needed, but often they will just replace the inverter. Sometimes that's actually cheaper. Troubleshooting an inverter is way too much for someone without good solid technical experience. I would call a shop and ask for an estimate to replace the inverter. Good luck.
Posted on Oct 14, 2006
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Posted on Aug 21, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: