Question about GE JES735WJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Need to operate the microwave at 230 volts

I have purchased the microwave and need to use it in a country which have 230 volts. What will I need to use the device?

Posted by on

  • Tushar Nerurkar Oct 12, 2006

    Thanks a lot for the response.

    I already have a 1000W step down transformer. Will connecting that create some issue with the operations of the microwave? I havent tried connecting it till am really not sure how the microwave will function.



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 9,179 Answers

You will need a step-down transformer of the appropriate power (wattage) and the proper adapter plug for the country you'll be in. You need to look on the back of the microwave and see how many watts it CONSUMES, not how many watts of cooking power it produces. Usually the power consumption requirement should be in the ballpark of twice the power output. For a 700W (cooking power) oven, I would suspect it has about a 1400W power consumption requirement, so your step-down transformer must be rated at least 1500W. That may be cutting it close, so for lower heat and longer transformer life, I would choose a 2000 watt model. You need to be sure it comes with an adapter plug that's made for receptacles in the country you'll go to. One site I found has them for about $60. but I would read up on the subject to see if you need one of an EVEN HIGHER rating since microwave ovens do surge when they start cooking. You may need to use one rated at 3000W or more. More info:

Posted on Oct 11, 2006

  • William Miller
    William Miller Nov 11, 2006

    Please re-read my previous post.

    I do not think the 1000W type is big enough.

    I think if you connect it and use the microwave you will destroy the step-down transformer.



1 Suggested Answer


6ya staff

  • 2 Answers


Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Electric oven stopped working

Try turning off the 230 volt 40 amp double breaker in your electric panel and resetting it

Nov 28, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My country use the 220 volts system do have to use a step down transformer of plug it in has been a year i have not used the appliance having no information on wattage

If your microwave is wired for 220 volts AC and your country standard house current is 220, and the plug is of the proper configuration, plug it in.

Standard microwave size is around 1100 watts at 110 volts Normally, two times the voltage is 1/2 the wattage. Ohms law, Voltares Law and Watts Law apply.

If your microwave is 1100 watts at 110 volts --- yes you will need a step- down transformer of some type.

Jul 12, 2011 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I'm looking for a manual and drawings for the Lang deep Fat Fryer, type CLF-15-1 230 Volts, 60 hz

Fryer, type CLF-15-1 230 Volts
I am so glad I am able to help you -

Gary @ Fix Ya

Jul 11, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Miele oven transformer broken. Need to find place to buy the part


you will have to purchase a new transformer from Miele or from a miele authorised dealer. you cannot purchase spare parts any other way.

if you look at and chose your country you will find your local Miele dealer or office

Apr 15, 2010 | Goldstar MV-1155 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

This microwave oven plugged in 220V but the only volt for these microwave is only 120V how can you fix this?

Sorry - This may have done serious damage to the control logic.

This device will need professional repair and it may be cheaper to replace the oven.

Mar 25, 2010 | Sanyo EM-F300W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

How to convert electricity from 110 to 220 volts for my SHARPE Microwave oven

Ah, the problem of the ages. There are 2 solutions. One is a transformer of the proper size, and the second is to purchase a heavy duty battery charger (that runs on 220 volts). Connect the red and black (+ and -) wires to a 12v to 110v voltage inverter, similar to what you would plug into a 12v auto 'cigarette lighter' socket to produce 110v current from a car battery. The charger turns the 220 vac to 12 vdc, and the inverter turns the 12 vdc into 110 vac. This works, as it is what I did when I moved from the US to England.

Feb 04, 2010 | Sharp R-230 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Paint inside microwave oven, Can it be repainted ?

Yes. You need to clean it, sand it shiny, then clean it squeky again.

Then you can get high temperature appliance paint in spray on brush-on form from local appliance part store or places like Wal-Mart and Lowe's.

I would suggest you let it dry overnight with the door open before using the oven.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 17, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JES735WJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

120 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

Poppa Maddo
Poppa Maddo

Level 2 Expert

372 Answers

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9179 Answers


Level 3 Expert

1234 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides