Microwave left on without anything in it except plastic spash cover
My daughter was asked to set the timer for the lazagna for 85 minutes. She pushed the wrong buttons and it melted the plastic splash lid to the glass tray. The microwave shut itself off and it doesn't work at all anymore. Is this a blown fuse or something beyond my ability to repair myself. The small fuse behind the keypad shows continuity. Could it be a fuse cartridge??? Do I need an expert to repair it?? I appreciate any good knowledgable advice.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Microwave left on without anything in it except...
It's probable that since it was running empty, the magnetron overheated and a thermal cutout or thermostat located on the magnetron opened.
Magnetrons may be protected by a therostat, which will reset when it cools, or a thermal fuse, which is a one-time use device. It is also possible that in some cases, a thermostat will fail when opened.
Please refer to the drawing.
In my professional opinion, people should not work on a microwave unless they are fully informed and aware of the deadly hazards and necessary precautions. One can find such information in our safety and disassermbly text files at _.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you have the kitchen timer set for instance for 10 minutes and it is counting down, and then you want to reheat you coffee for 2 minutes. You would hit either time cook or reheat button and enter 2 minutes ten hit start. The microwave will heat your coffee and show the 2 minute countdown for that. When done it will revert back to what is left on the 10 minute kitchen timer without missing a beat on most microwaves.
You probably fried the magnetron(it actually makes the microwaves that do the cooking). I bet you will find the magnet is broken(from excessive heat). There should be a diagnostic guide sheet somewhere inside the housing(due to running production changes,this is a guide for the pros to test the power supply,magnetron,etc with an ohmmeter to determine which is defective.
Suggest you pull the plug out, remove outer cover and place a cup of water into the micro. Set power to minimum then switch on and take note if the fan works or not. If not, switch off immediately and have it replaced(magnatron will burn out if left to run without fan.)
The plastic cover on the inside of the door is purely push fit.
To force it off I used 2 strong stainless steel dinner knives.
By easing one knife between the internal glass and the plastic cover I managed to spring one corner by using the other knife on the external bottom edge of the plastic cover.
Try concentrating on one end and once this springs out it is easy to free the rest without having to take it off completely.
The hook is simple to do but be careful with the spring.
All in all it took 3 minutes!