I have a Digi 002 rack that has just developed a problem.
I was doing some extended listening through the rig, using the "Alt Src to Mon" jacks and front panel switch. In the middle of a coouple of hours of listening, the signal cut off, and the "44.1" sample rate light (which is usiually on" went off, and I could hear what sounded like some switching internally (like the sound I hear on startup when the lights cycle down from 96 to 44.1).
At that point, the "Alt Src to Mon" switch no longer works, and I could not make the "mute" button light go off when pressed.
This happened several times, and I was able to restore operation by turing off the unit and turing it back on.
Now I sometimes cannot restore operation and get no response from any of the 002 buttons.
Then I try starting up ProTools (I'm running a PT LE 6.4 on a dual G5 PowerMac w OSX 10.3.7) and the installation stalls, saying "Unable to locate" the unit, even though the Firewire connection is good and power is definitely on. Sometimes it locates the 002, sometimes not.
I'm beginning to think some chip in the Digi 002 is cooked.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
yeah i have an intel imac and had the same problem. I upgraded to pt le 7.4 and now pro tools recognizes the 002 rack and it works fine, but still the core audio manager does not recognize the hardware. It says in "use" when I first turn on the 002 rack, then it says not connected after about 20 seconds. I don't think this really matters though because I have beeen able to do everything fine without having the core audio managr recognizing the 002 rack. I hope that helps
easy. Your clock got screwed by one of your audio programs in you system. It Happens when sample rates are mixes up. Leave your digi 002 on it does not set itself other than the factory sample rate setting when primarily switched on, which will remember its last setting if mixed up in an attempt to recover. Leave it on turn your system on. Then turn your system off. Not the digi. just your pc, mac. The software utilizing the previously screwed up sample rate will or should be reset. thus resetting your digi 2 to its factory 44. If it does not work check your software settings for any audio software set as default to run when pc is started ans make sure they are set to play back 44. Never turn your pc off when a program using your digi faulters.
It's the power supply / DC Harness issue. A well known fault with the Digi 002.
Two things you can do:
Call Digidesign. They'll overnight you a new power supply and DC wiring
harness free of charge, as well as installation instructions. They
might also still be willing to do the repair for you (also free of
charge), but that means you'll have to ship the unit to them, which
will take considerably longer than the DIY approach.
Or, if you're REALLY stuck and you need to get back up and running
RIGHT NOW (okay, within 30 minutes or so), you can disassemble the 002,
pull the DC harness and clean the contacts with some Caig DeOxit, then
apply a bit of ProGold, then put it back together... chances are that
will clear up your problems and allow you to finish the session. :)
There are some good instructions on how to open up the 002 and what to
treat over on the Digidesign User's Conference
, but I can't locate them at the moment. But if you ask over there, I'm
sure someone can refer you to the correct post. :)
I got one of the very first 002's in N America three years ago... and
it worked fine for the first couple of months, then had the wiring
harness issue... and Digidesign replaced it (via overnight delivery)
and paid for the return of the defective unit. About a week ago, it
went out again, This time, I got the replacement parts (including a
small amount of the Caig chemicals :thu: - although I already had those
on hand) overnighted to me. The install isn't all that difficult, but
the placement of some of the locking tabs on the connectors is a bit
difficult to deal with. Just go slow and don't force anything... a
small screwdriver will help in "unlocking" some of those tabs. :)