- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When your iriver H10 has corrupt files you may want to solve the issue by formatting the player's hard drive.
This is how I did it with my H10 5GB (so called 'MTP device' thats recognized by Windows as a portable device i.e. "Windows Portable devices".
To do so follow 2 steps:
step 1: Format the hard drive of your H10.
step 2: Re-install the player's firmware.
step 1: Format the hard drive of your H10:
1. Make sure your H10 is turned off and disconnected from the computer.
2. Take out the battery, wait a second, and put the battery back in.
3. Turn on the hold switch (so that you don't accidentally turn the H10 on all the way).
4. Plug the H10 into your computer.
5. Turn on the H10 while holding the "O" button.
On your H10 screen You will see the message "UMS Mode" if you have done everything correctly. You can now let go of the "O" button.
6. On your computer, start Windows Explorer, navigate to the drive, right click and select 'Format'.
step 2: Re-install the player's firmware.
1. Download and install iriver Firmware Updater v126.96.36.199.
I found a downloadable copy on this website: http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/237145/iriver-firmware-updater-v188.8.131.52-for-mtp-devices-windows-free-download.html
2. Start the newly installed software and follow the Wizard. I clicked the 'USA' button when asked where I bought the device. This should install the MTP firmware.
3. Wait for the software to complete and disconnect your device from the computer.
4. Wait for your device to install the new Firmware.
You cannot buy this component part from the company - your best bet would be to go to eBay and see if anyone is selling one with a broken screen, and no other known hard drive defects. Even then, it won't do you much good unless you are an expert solderer/electrician. Good luck.
iRiver H10 - Missing System Files
You must be connected to the internet for this to work:
1.Download the MTP Firm Updater Utility from iriver website - iriverinc.com/support (Audio Jukebox --> H10)
2. Unzip file, run .exe file, go thorugh wizard (if you are not in mass storage mode, it will give you instructions on the wizard on how to change this)
3. Select Recovery
4. Finish going through wizard
5. disconnect iRiver from computer, and wait for it to update - your player should be good.
If the problem happens again, then uninstall Windows Media Player 11 from your computer and rollback to Windows Media Player 10 (you will NOT lose any songs by doing so).
-Tha Mp3 Doctor
This is straight out of p. 67 of the user's manaul, available on iRiver website (it may not work if the computer does not recognize the device):
What is firmware ?
It is the operating system that works in the H10.
iriver provides you with the latest and best features through Firmware upgrade.
You can choose manual or automatic upgrade function.
For information on automatic upgrade, refer to the iriver plus instruction manual.
Manual firmware upgrade
1 Select [Option - Firmware Upgrade] from the menu in iriver plus.
Do not disconnect H10 during firmware upgrade.
Internet must be connected for the "Firmware Update" function.
Change to "Player must be connected to the PC for Firmware Upgrade function.
Please initialize H10 player in the following cases.
All music, pictures, text, and data will be erased from the player during this initialization.
- if there appears to be corruption on the internal hard drive.
- if an error message displays and the player doesn't boot properly.
1 Connect the player and PC using the cable supplied with the player.
Open iriver plus.
Select [Option-Portable Device Initialization]. 2
3 Click [Start] to begin initializing.
I am having the same problem. Resetting it doesn't work and now it's locked all the time and I can't do anything with it! There are no suggestions on the iriver website. Have you got any other solutions to this problem?