How do I get to the igniter on my WP Gas Dryer (LGR8648PG)?
In order to get to the burner assembly where the igniter is located, you will need to open the dryer cabinet and remove the drum by following these steps:
1. UNPLUG the dryer and remove the lint screen.
2. Remove the two screws that were under the lint screen and lift the top panel.
3. Unplug the door switch connector plug and any ground wire that may be installed on the casing.
4. Locate the two screws that hold the front panel in place. There should be one screw on each side in the cabinet interior.
5. With the door shut, lean against the front panel and remove the two screws that hold it in place. Once the screws are removed, grasp the front panel at the top center and lift straight up to remove.
You should now have complete access to the dryer interior.
6. Remove the dryer drum. Release the belt tension, by pushing the idler pulley (tensioner) to the right (away from the belt) and remove the belt from around the motor pulley. Then, with the belt still wrapped around the drum, use the belt to lift the entire drum out of the cabinet.
You can reference the following websites for helpful exploded view diagrams to assist you with assembling and disassembling your dryer:
Once you have completed your repairs, reassemble the dryer as follows:
1. Re-install the drum, making sure the rollers are seated properly in the groove around the perimeter in the rear. Make sure the belt is looped around the drum with the groove side facing the drum.
2. Have someone hold the drum in place while you re-install the belt over the tension pulley and motor. If working alone, kneel down so you can see the tensioner and motor and rest the drum front on your shoulder or knee.
NOTE: With the belt removed, this may cause the idler pulley (tensioner) to come loose. This is normal with no tension on the pulley to hold it in place.
3. Reinstall the belt tensioner by following these steps:
a. Loop the drive belt around the dryer drum with the groove side facing the drum.
b. With the tensioner in your left hand, insert the clip end of the idler pulley into the grooves on the dryer bottom casing with the idler wheel pointing to your left. (The grooves are directly in front of the drive motor.)
c. While holding the tensioner in place, insert the belt UNDER the wheel with your right hand and push the wheel to the RIGHT while pulling the belt over the drive motor pulley.
NOTE: If this does not explain it well enough, you can also verify by going to repairclinic.com. Click on the Repair Help link and look for the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section on the next page. Look for WHIRLPOOL and refer to diagram H (This model Amana is manufactured by Whirlpool).
4. Once you have the belt installed, re-install the dryer front panel by holding it as you did previously. Line up the holes on the inside bottom edge of the front panel with the small mounting cleats on the front edge of the side panels. This can be done by yourself, but an assist may make it easier.
5. Once you have the front panel in place, lean against it to hold it in place and install the mounting screws.
NOTE: Don't forget to reconnect the grounding wire and door switch connector plug. Without the door switch connected, the dryer will not run. Lower the top panel back in place and reinstall the two screws.
NOTE: Placing a piece of duct tape over the dryer vent chute will help safeguard against dropping anything down in the blower fan assembly. If you drop any screws down the chute, you will need to remove the dryer back panel to retrieve them.
If you have any questions about this repair, please post back and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.