Question about Camping, Backpacking & Hiking
My Coleman lantern 5348-700 does not light. I have charged it for 24 hours. The red light is on during charging, but the lantern does not light when I turn the switch on.Perhaps the tubes have burnt out, or perhaps the battery is dead. I have extra fluorescent tubes, but I don't know how to open the lantern to replace them. And I can't find the instruction manual. Thanks for any help. Jo
Simple unscrew the top clockwise and you will see how the tubes are removed,
Posted on Jun 07, 2012
Check the battery with a volt meter to make sure you have the correct voltage. If not, replace battery. If correct voltage, bypass switch to determine if it is good or not. If not, replace. There really isn't much to go wrong on the lanterns except the bulb or battery.
Posted on Jul 21, 2010
Remove the plunger and oil the leather diaphram with light oil similar to 3 in 1 oil, and expand the diaphram until it is no longer stiff and contracted. If you do not know how to remove the plunger let me know.
Posted on Sep 16, 2010
Hi, First remove the knurl nut on the top. Remove the top and then the glass globe. There are several types of mantels most of which tie with a string that is part of the mantel top. The newer ones have a wire clip in place of the string. Which ever type you had on before you need to remove the old pieces completely. Since the mantles burn to an ash they will disintegrate when touched but if it had the metal clip you need to remove it. Tie or clip the new mantle over the lip on the output orifice being careful with the screen underneath. Replace the glass globe and top, put the nut back on finger tight. Remember that the mantel turns into ash when it burns for the first time so keep the gas low to start it till the mantle forms properly ( in the first minute) Good Luck, this should Fixya!
Posted on Mar 16, 2009
SOURCE: I have a dual fuel,
Make sure that the vapourised fuel is coming through the mantle before lighting up. You should hear a hissing sound when the flame adjusting lever is turned to high. If not it is possible that the generator is clogged up and that vapourised fuel is not getting through to the mantle. So when you light up you are essentially just burning the mantle. If the generator is knackered it will need to be replaced. One way to check it to remove the generator, primed the tank and turn the valve on. If fuel spurts out when the generator is removed (DON'T LIGHT IT U)P THOUGH) but there is no hissing sound when the generator is intact then it is a sure sign that the generator is clogged up. In the UK a replacement generator should set you back £10-15. Hope this helps, Bandit
Posted on May 25, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 06, 2017 | Coleman Camping, Backpacking & Hiking
Oct 16, 2017 | Coleman Camping, Backpacking & Hiking
Mar 06, 2016 | Coleman Camping, Backpacking & Hiking
Jan 22, 2012 | Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern...
Sep 15, 2011 | Coleman Retro Rechargeable Battery Powered...
May 24, 2011 | Coleman Retro Rechargeable Battery Powered...
Oct 24, 2010 | Sport & Outdoor - Others
Aug 05, 2009 | Coleman 10' X 10' Sundome Tent 9160K101
Jun 14, 2009 | Coleman Lantern Fan Radio (841.321) AM/FM
13,412 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!