Question about SanDisk Sansa m230 MP3 Player
The initializing screen and finalizing update show on the screen and then the whole thing shuts down.
All MP3's are not equal. The Sandisk only recognises 128Kbps. If you load 96Kbps you will get the "Finalizing Update" error. The solution.........disconnect the battery and then reinsert it and immediately connect to the USB connection. Look through the library of recordings and somewhere there will be a non-kosher MP3 file. Delete it and your trouble is over. roberted
Posted on Dec 28, 2006
Obvious stuff first. Check battery. Make sure the spring is making contact. Seeing as you are getting some power I would say thats not an issue. Connect it to a PC and make sure it has songs of the correct format. WMA and MP3. If its not a matter of incorrect file formats, it would be an internal problem. Possibly a short somewhere on the board. I am not sure as to the ease of repair on these players. SO I would look at sending it to the manufacturer.
Posted on Jul 01, 2006
Tips for a great answer:
Restoring RCA M4304A Recorder Firmware
Symtom: recorder shows OPAL splash screen, then shows "profiling requires20mb of free space, shutting down" and then shuts down. Recorder cannot be accessed by windows or the RCA easyrip software.
Solution: Use the firmware update found here: http://www.voxxsupport.com/images/downloads/OPAL_066F_85A4_85A5_0_1140_SIG.EXE
This update needs to be ran on an xp computer running 32 bitOS. It was tested in a Win 7 64bitmachine and proven to not work.
Necessary steps taken to get the firmware to properlyrestore were as follows:
1. Hold in the power (menu) button for 10 seconds(the splash screen will show and it will give the error message, ignore it)
2. While still holding the power button, press theplay/pause button and hold down.
3. Release the power button while still holdingdown the play/pause button and wait 5 seconds.
4. While still holding the play/pause button plugin the usb cable to the recorder. Continue to hold the play/pause button foranother 5 seconds after plugging the cable in.
5. Release the play pause button then launch theEXE for the firmware update. Minimize the instruction screen so you can see thefull update screen.
6. Leave the format checkbox checked (check it ifit isn't checked) formatting is crucial to this working.
7. Once the status in the update window changesfrom initializing to ready click start to update the recorder. It will go through formatting, then updating.
8. Once the status shows complete disconnect therecorder and with any luck the recorder is usable again. The media files will obviously have to bereloaded, but the recording is functional at least.
Usually answered in minutes!