An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Humidifier Gives Off an Odor
Odors are common because water stagnates in the tank.
1) Unplug the unit.
2) Empty the reservoir, mop up any damp areas, and clean the tank and evaporator belt with a mixture of one gallon water. Add 2 tablespoons of chlorine bleach to the water for stubborn smells.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If it smells like plastic burning. Stop using it immediately. As there could be an electrical short or overheating of the unit. If doesn't smell like plastic burning, you'll need to be more descriptive of what the odor smells like.
I have the same poblem with mine. I'm telling you it was the brand new filter...after about a day the odor would start. I washed the filter out with white vinegar, then a drop or two of Dawn in hot water, then rinsed in cool water. Worked fine so far. It's been about a week. good luck
I hope this helps you, have the repair person check to see if a furnace filter air freshener was installed at your last furnace check up without your knowledge. Also checked all wall and or floor registers to make sure the source of smell is not coming from them, it may be circulating though the duct system.last thing is to replace media pad in humidifier along with furnace filters, if you have air cleaner wash filters with hot water and baking soda, wipe & let dry before re- installing them. Your repair person may have use a strong smelling cleaning solution in humidifier that is now circulating though out your home, good luck.
Depending on the age, transformers do go bad. It will have a odor to it if it is burned out, I just checked and the doorbell transformer at home depot is sufficient to run the humidifer. Dont worry that it is 20VA instead of 10VA. The VA is just the load it can handle, the higher the number, the higher the load. The transformer at home depot is around $15 dollars. You will use the 2 outer of the 3 screw terminals for the low voltage. I hope the helps. Steve
First, clean or replace the filter. Next, mix a very weak solution (40:1 ratio) of bleach and water to fill the unit. the bleach will kill any bacteria that could be causing the odor, but NOT harm anyone, The filter will take care of any hard water issues. Just don't make the mistake of thinking "If a weak solution is good, a strong one is better". NOT TRUE. Stay with the 40:1 mix unless you like breathing bleach. (Yuk) Note: It may take a couple of days for the odor to go away.