20 Most Recent American Standard Colony 3275.505 099 Chrome/Brass Mixage Soft Two-Handle B... Questions & Answers


Black gunk in bathroom faucet screen

Okay, you have black gunk in the screens of your water faucets.....This is usually found in homes with old metal galvanized water lines that have a well or Hard Water. To permenantly get rid of this problem you should have a water softener installed and replace old water lines. If you already have a water softener then you should replace all of your old metal water lines with Copper or Plastic (Plastic being the cheaper way to go). After many years of use, the inside of the galvanized metal water pipes get a Gunky Skummy Build up on the inside of the pipes from minerals and particals in the water, usually in older homes and farm houses. You will see this Gunk if you take a section of water line apart and look in it. There is no really Cheap fix for this, But if you and a Partner a fairly handy, you can do it yourself with CPVC Plastic pipe and Glue. By doing it yourself you will save alot of money on the cost of labor. If you can afford it, Hire it out to your local handyman or plumber. After replacing the water lines you should no longer get the Gunk build up and may even notice a bit more water pressure....I hope this helps in assisting you to the solution......Joe
1/5/2022 1:32:30 AM • American... • Answered on Jan 05, 2022

Why does black gook come out of the faucets and covers the commode tank and builds up in my dishwasher? We have dealt with the water company for years about this to acomplish nothing. They now say the

Do you have steel galvanized piping going into your house from the main? That can do that when it gets corroded.
11/15/2013 7:10:37 PM • American... • Answered on Nov 15, 2013

I have an American Standard

Check these items:

1. If you installed new faucet seats, did you add a little pipe joint compound to the threads before installing them?

2. Make sure the shower diverter is in the off position and you're not seeing water leaking from the spout that could be coming from the shower pipe or residual water from the shower head.

3. Make sure you have the correct faucet washers - some or tapered and some are flat and must fit the stem counter bore correctly and that the counter bore isn't damaged or the stem shaft isn't bent. Make sure the waskers are the correct hardness.

4. Make sure the screws that secure the faucet washers are tight, but not too tight. It doesn't hurt to add a little pipe joint compound to the screws.
8/28/2010 7:41:30 PM • American... • Answered on Aug 28, 2010

Installed new tub faucet and all i have is a trickle

If you have galvanized water lines in your home, I will bet you have sedament in the cartridges causing blockage.
9/30/2009 7:16:15 AM • American... • Answered on Sep 30, 2009

Black pieces in the sceen of my taps

More than likely those are bits of plastic from the new piping. Take the strainers off and flush the lines to get the remaining material out, clean the screens and aerators and reinstall them, then have the water tested again. If it comes back high in bacteria again, call your well driller.
9/15/2009 11:45:51 PM • American... • Answered on Sep 15, 2009

American Standard Cadet model 3275 - Plastic piece inside of pipe

Yes, there is a non-replaceable plastic restrictor device screwed into the tub spout outlet of the faucet body. It's purpose is to force the flow down to the spout for when the spout diverter is not closed. It keep water from rcoming out of the shower head when the tub spout is also discharging.

This is all fine and dandy where the water supply is clean without sediment. A co-worker of mine had one of these and old galvanized piping. After 3 years, it clogged up. She got a 'deal' from a handyman plumber to replace with an identical faucet. She will have the problem again. If she had spent the money to fix it right, she would have had a single handle mixing valve put in. If it clogs, you can just pull the cartidge from the body, clean it and put it back in. Now she will have to cut into the wall again, get the plumber to replace the 2 handled unit and patch the wall again.

Or, she could have the plumber drill out/remove the restrictor but then she might get water out of both outlets at the same time....."pay me know or pay me later"....repalcing the mixing valve with a scald prevention single handle valve (with remodel plate) is the BEST long term solution.

Fred Grable
(Engineer and Ex-Master Plumber)
6/4/2009 1:42:59 PM • American... • Answered on Jun 04, 2009

American Standard Cadet 2-handle tub & shower set-Model#3275 - low pressure output

When you installed the new tub faucet you probably turned off the water to that faucet of even the whole house. IF IT IS AN OLDER HOUSE, TURNING THE WATER OFF AND BACK ON CAN LOOSEN SOME DEBRIS IN THE WATER LINES THAT CAN FIND THEIR WAY TO YOUR NEW FAUCET. If there is a screen at the end of the water outlet it can be clogged with gunk. Uncrew the screen on the water outlet and clean. You may also want to flush out the hot and cold outlets by turning the water off, removing the cartigages and slowly let water flush them out. Then reassemble. Also when you have the tub handles out you can turn the hot and cold supply valves off and on a few times to loosen more debris if it exsists........Joe
2/15/2009 5:25:20 AM • American... • Answered on Feb 15, 2009

No hot water

Let's start with assuming nothing okay. There may have been two cold water lines ran to the faucet at time of a repair in error. The stop under the sink could be turned off. The supply pipes may be connected backwards making cold hot and hot cold.The stem on a single handle model may be installed incorrectly. A piece of trash or part of the valve seat- if an older two handle type - may be obstructing the water flow. You could also have a ruptured pipe under the slab.
Let's start with the worst case scenario first- a break in the piping system. Shut all water off inside the house as well as any outside faucets etcetera that may cuse the usage of water. Go to the hot water heater and close the hot water valve. Now go to the water meter and see if the meter is moving- it should be stationary. If you use a pump check for a loss in pressure at the bladder tank. If all is good go and open the hot water valve and check again at the meter. If the meter is moving there is a break in the line. If not we will proceed.
Now go to the sink you have issue with and check the stops to see that they are turned on. If so turn them both off and get you a bucket, towel, flashlight and a basin wrench and remove the hot water supply line. Once you have this done bend the line into the bucket and turn the stop back on and see if you get hot water here. If not try the same with the other supply line. If neither produce hot water you more than likely have a cold line ran to both supplies. If you are able to get hot water than the issue is within the faucet. Re connect the supply lines and leave the stops off. Remove the stem from the faucet and turn the stop on a bit to flush out trsh and debris. If you have a stem that uses a valve seat - a small piece of rubber attached to the bottom of it by a screw- check to ensure that it is not missing parts of it that may get lodged in the valve itself. Assuming this is new house, to you anyway, it is also possible that the manner in which the hot water line to that appliance was ran from to far away from the water heater and requires a great deal of time before it reaches this appliance.
I hope this assists you to some degree and apologize for being longwinded. Thanks for using Fix Ya and if I can be of further assistance please let me know.
11/24/2008 1:13:30 PM • American... • Answered on Nov 24, 2008

Clogged sinks and toilets

Never use Draino on a toilet. All pipe cleaning liquids are not really a solution, just a temporary fix.

Since you said that the slow draining is associated with both the toilets and the sinks then I am almost certain that you have a venting issue.

Imagine a drinking straw.....now if you hold your thumb on the end of the straw and bring it up abouve the water level water remains in the straw. This is because air can't get in to replace the water. When your finger is removed then the water flows freely.

As with the straw, your plumbing must also breath. I would bet that one or more vents that are on your roof have become clogged with debrise. Squirrels love to throw nuts and stuff down there to build their nests upon.

Climb up there (safety is a priority) and try running a snake (~$10 at lowes) and see if you hit any obstruction. If so, use the snake to dislodge it.

If you would like, pour water down the vents either by hose or bucket and see if the water backs up. If it does then you have a clog. You can also use the water to try to clear the clog.

4/6/2022 3:13:10 PM • American... • Answered on Apr 06, 2022

I had an American Standard 4005 Fairbury faucet installed 9 days ago and now the hot water doesn't work. does anyone know what is happening?

The faucet may have been installed incorrectly (even backwards).
4/9/2021 5:42:00 AM • American... • Answered on Apr 09, 2021

How to install an American Standard goose neck 2 handled kitchen faucet, is there a step by step instructions with diagram?

American Standard has the Installation Guide for some of their kitchen faucets on each product's page. A list of some of their two-handle kitchen faucets is available here: https://www.americanstandard-us.com/kitchens/kitchen-faucets?No.%20of%20Handles=Two&page=1&plimit=21 . Home Depot has the Installation Guide for the Heritage wall-mount faucet with Goose Neck spout on the product page: https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Heritage-2-Handle-Wall-Mount-Kitchen-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-with-Gooseneck-Spout-7293-252-002/100080273 . The current link to the guide is https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfimages/de/deca2fce-73fc-47a2-acb5-efc7232dac17.pdf . These are standard plumbing installation guides. They condense most of the steps of the hardware install into one diagram/step of the guide. I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please add more information on the style of your faucet. (Is it a wall-mounted faucet or a sink-mounted faucet?) Cindy Wells
8/6/2020 11:41:23 PM • American... • Answered on Aug 06, 2020

How do I remove the handle on an american standard Jasmine amarilis single handle kitchen faucet

3/26/2020 4:42:18 PM • American... • Answered on Mar 26, 2020

How to remove and replace pull down hose and head in an american standard kitchen faucet?

Download the BILT app and search for your faucet model. The icon is turquoise with a white nut ( as in nut and bolt).
It will show you step by step nearly everything under the sun. Hope that helps a bit.
11/9/2019 2:46:40 AM • American... • Answered on Nov 09, 2019

Speed connect drain will not go down completely

Make sure that the compression nut is not too tight where it could bind up the plunger rod. I'm sure you have probably gotten up under to see if it is hitting anything. Also, make sure that the lift rod is adjusted correctly. I am leaning more towards the unit being bound up some how.
12/10/2018 11:24:22 PM • American... • Answered on Dec 10, 2018

American Standard Edgewater Single handle pull out faucet. Hot water pressure trickles.

mixing valve and ceramic washers are defective. American Standard is not what it used to be. Parts are substandard and imported from china. Get yourself a Glacier Bay, and contact American Standard and demand your money back or a credit.
9/27/2018 1:53:22 AM • American... • Answered on Sep 27, 2018

American standard 2k-2h still leaks after replaceing sem and nut

Did you replace or reface the seat (the surface in the bottom of the faucet body where the stem's washer "seats" itself to shut off the flow of water? There are special tools for removing the old seats and installing new ones (available from professional plumbing suppliers), or you may be able to renew the seat's surface with a special tool called a seat surfacer.
4/13/2018 10:58:01 PM • American... • Answered on Apr 13, 2018

How do i remove bathroom sink drain plug?

If by push pull you mean there is a knob and rod that you use to raise and lower the plug. Look under the sink for a rod extending perpendicular to pipe it will be about 8" long and attach to a linking bar below he push pull rod. Typically there is a small retaining nut that seats around a ball seal on this rod that secures it to the tail piece dropping from sink. Unscrew the retaining nut, slide the rod out and then lift out the plug. You will notice a ring on lower end of the plug piece that you will need to insert the rod thru when reassembling. If you are referring to a fixed twist and drop plug Open it and there will be a set screw on a flat face in the stem portion under the cap. It's usually small straight slot screw but may also be a hex head slot Loosen that screw and the plug will lift off a center peg in the drain assembly.
1/12/2018 10:02:19 PM • American... • Answered on Jan 12, 2018

I need a daigram of

I would google it . Or look on u tube
1/12/2018 2:52:14 AM • American... • Answered on Jan 12, 2018

How to replace the trap for kitchen sink..there is

open to drain pipes. remove the collars that hold trap on, sometimes you may need pliers or a pipe wrench to remove.install is reverse of removal the trap is there to contain the gases in drain pipe. if no trap. you will smell sewer water all the time. 1-1/4 for bathroom drains and 1-1/2 for kitchen sink drain.
9/13/2017 12:13:07 AM • American... • Answered on Sep 13, 2017
Not finding what you are looking for?
American Standard Colony 3275.505 099 Chrome/Brass Mixage Soft Two-Handle B... Logo

12 questions posted

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top American Standard Plumbing Experts

john h

Level 3 Expert

28477 Answers


Level 3 Expert

85241 Answers

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3745 Answers

Are you an American Standard Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

View Most Popular

American Standard Plumbing

  • American Standard Plumbing

Most Popular Question

installed new tub faucet all trickle

  • Plumbing