HP iPAQ 500 Voice Messenger Series - Resetting the DeviceSometimes you need to reset your iPAQ if, for example, it is not responding to your pressing a button or your tapping the screen.There are two types of resets.
- Soft Reset - A soft reset stops all running applications, but does not erase any programs or saved data.
- Factory or Hard Reset - A factory or hard reset clears all user-installed settings, programs, and data, and restores your iPAQ to factory settings.
Performing a Soft ResetPerform a normal or soft reset to stop all running applications, to restart the iPAQ after installing a new application, or if the iPAQ locks up.CAUTION:Make sure to close all running applications before performing a soft reset, since a soft reset erases all unsaved data in such applications.Perform a soft reset using one of these two options.
- Turn off the iPAQ by holding down the End key.1 - End Key
- Remove the battery of your iPAQ.
Performing a Factory or Hard ResetPerform a factory or hard reset when there is a need to clear all settings, programs, and data from the RAM.CAUTION:Performing a hard reset will return the iPAQ to its default settings and it loses all information (files and settings, among others) that is not recorded in the ROM. Back up all important information or data before performing a hard reset.Follow these steps to perform a hard reset and return your iPAQ to factory settings.
- Turn off your iPAQ by holding down the End key.
- Then hold down the center of the 4-Way Navigation key and turn on the iPAQ again while continuing to do so.1 - 4-Way Navigation Key2 - End Key
- A confirmation screen opens asking whether you want to perform a hard reset or not. SelectYes . The iPAQ will reboot with its original factory settings.
The applications and data present on your iPAQ before performing the hard reset can be reinstalled by synchronizing your iPAQ with a computer using ActiveSync/WMDC (Windows Mobile Device Center).NOTE:
If you don't want the iPAQ playing a tune after you turn it on, create a new text document and save the document as StartUp.wav. Replace this new document with the file on your device.