This is a common problem with grills purchased after 2001 and also with full propane tanks or tanks with excessive pressure in them. There is a
new safety feature inside the regulator called a 'surge protector'. If
you open your propane bottle valve too quickly or if you try attaching a
tank with the tank valve in the 'open' position, the propane wants to
'surge' into the grill.
When the propane surges into the
regulator (located on the grill hose) the 'surge protector' (inside the
regulator) kicks on. When this happens you will not be able to get your
grill lit, and if you do, it will be a small blue flame and the grill
will not heat up.
So what to do if you trip the surge protector
and can't get your grill to light or heat up?
Shut the tank off
and shut the valves on the grill off. Disconnect the tank from the grill
hose. When you disconnect the tank from the hose you will hear the
excess pressure of propane release. This is an indication that you have
re-set the regulator's surge protector.
Now that you have
deactivated or reset the surge protector, reconnect the tank. Make sure
the valve on the tank and the valves on the grill are in the closed and
in the off position. After you reconnect the tank to the hose, SLOWLY
open the tank valve (making sure the valves on the grill are in the OFF
Since you have slowly opened the valve on the tank,
the propane did not surge into the regulator and the surge protector did
Now open 1 valve on the grill and light it. You
should get a nice flame. If your grill has more than one valve, open
each following valve in sequential order to extend the flames to the
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps.
Tanks 2 You Propane