Welp, I pulled out my screwdriver and fiddled around just a bit and got
documents to feed again (yay!). I do not believe this is a permanent
fix, though, but it was enough to get my document scanned in without me
having to feed each sheet manually.
Step 1: Open the document
feeder cover. Easy to do, you just stick your hand under it and lift
up. It has a little pressure because of the latch but it is designed to
give way when you lift hard enough. Once it's open, pull out the little
black plastic piece that keeps the cover from swinging all the way open.
2: Unscrew the ADF motor/gear assembly cover. There's a single screw
holding it in. Once you unscrew it, you'll need to pull up on the left
side of the cover until it pops upward, then you need to push the cover
towards the left until it is freed up from the rest of the cover. This
one was a little tricky. Several times I thought I might break it
(before I realized that I needed to push the cover towards the left) so
try not to apply unreasonable force while you're doing this.
3: Close the document feeder cover, put your documents in the feeder
and start your scan. Use your fingers to fiddle with the gears while
the ADF motor is running and trying to feed documents. I'm not sure if
I flicked the little gear upward or downward to get the documents to
feed, but one of those ways got the documents to start feeding. Once it
started feeding the first page, it seemed to work well for the rest of
the pages without me having to fiddle with it anymore.
am guessing that there is some level that controls the location of the
middle gear that needs to be oiled, but I didn't go any further to try
and make that happen. Hence this is probably just a temporary fix for
Putting it back together is pretty straightforward. Just do the reverse of what you did to get it open.
Hope this helps someone!