20 Most Recent
Archos 604 WiFi Digital Media Player Questions & Answers
Recovery Code 2 on Archos 604 WiFi
The solution I found to reset the hard drive. Follow these procedures:
1. Remove the battery.
2. Unscrew the 2 screws on the right side of the battery compartment.
3. Loosen the 4 screws on the other side of the unit, but be very careful not to take them out, leave part of the screw in the hole, because if you don't, you'll have a hard time putting them back later as I found out. Now I have one loose screw on the bottom left.
4. Open the back cover carefully and make sure the 4 screws on the side are still intact. Adjust these screws if you have to but make sure they don't come all the way out. After opening the cover you'll see the hard drive and you'll probably see the connecting cable is loose. Lift out the hard drive and tighten the cable.
5. Replace the cover, tighten all the screws, and you are set.
After that, my 604wifi was able to start up normally and the recovery message is gone. A new problem now is the unit will turn off by itself after about 20 seconds. I suspected it was because of the loose screw, but I just don't have the time to fool with it now, well...future project.
Once you have downloaded the file to your PC simply connect your archos to your pc using USB cable provided, select PC hard drive mode, and simply copy or drag and drop from one destination to the other. Your Archos usually appears as J:Archos604WiFi if you have a built in card reader if not it may appear as an earlier letter in the alphabet.
How to deal with this problem
I was watching a film on mine and it paused and I hade to hold in the power button to shut it off.
When I restarted it I get that error message too.
did the same as everyone else with no luck, so I left it on thinking
that maybe running the battery down and charging it again might help
but no luck.
I left it for a week then decided to have another go at fixing it.
I removed the battery and used the reset button to set it to factory defaults.
powered it up and got the error message and tried the USB cable again
(Can't remember for sure if it was on or off when I connected it) and I
got the option of connecting to my PC and copying a system update to it.
I downloaded the update and copied it to the harddrive and it then updated itself and restarted.
It booted up ok but when I restarted it I get the error message again.
I redid the first bit again and using the XP Disc Management I removed the partition, then redone it.
I restarted the 604 and formatted the harddrive and copied the update and it updated and restarted again.
The pointer needs to be calabrated again on it to work but it's back to normal now and working great.
set everything up and copied all the folders into a folder on my PC so
if it happens again I just need to fix the harddrive and copy the files
Archos 605 wifi 4o gb
To reset you need to hold in the reset button so it resets to factory defaults.
On the base of your 604 there is a sliding button, slide it away from the built in speaker.
Looking at the back of the 604 the left pannel has 04 SERIES on it, it will slide up while holding the sliding button.
You will see at the top a hole in the black which is gold and has reset written beside it, hold it in for 15 seconds and that will reset it.
Archos 604 Wifi Recovery Code 2
hello everybody, i had this same problem with my archos 604 wifi but thankx to someone on another forum i fixed it. it is really easy:
first you take the battery off, then you unscrew the 4 or 6 screw on the sides of the hard drive, then you lift the lid and then the hard drive, VERY CAREFULLY, Then you will see the problem : the little black plug conected through a ribbon to the hard drive is not plugged correctly or it is completely unpluged from the white socket. even if it is not un plugged just make sure it's tight, put everything back together and it should work just fine. ( IT IS A LITTLE DIFFICUL TO SCREW IT BACK TOGETHER BUT YOU"LL GET IT RIGHT) it is a weird problem. but it is easily fixed.
i hope that helps, bye
Battery discharges within hours
problem the power storage or battery of your player is damage you might want to find someone who can fix that an electronics technician near you would solve the problem, let him check that for you...
Recovery (code2) Archos 604wifi
OK, here is a really quick thing to solve your problem.
Basically you have to open up the device, and its that simple.
1. take out the battery
2. remove the two screws closest to the "kick out leg" at the back of the archos. *removing the battery shows the screws.
3.on the right hand side of the archos when looking from the back, you will see 4 screws. You need to undo the two screws that are closest to the back of the archos. NOT THE OTHERS NEARER THE FRONT - as they are for the screen!!!
4. remove the now loosened pannel. (you may need to use something flat to wedge it off).
5. take out the hardrive. (it should bend over from the top, it is connected by a strip)
6. the problem for me was that the strip wasnt connected to the archos properly, e.g. it was loose)
It can even come out if it is too loose.
7. don't worry if it does come out, but that is why its not working.
8. the strip should fit under the little piece of plastic on the motherboard. (like two thin rectangles, one is black and it has a white one above it)
9. the black thin rectangle can come off, try to do this, but its delicate so be careful.
10. once off you can re-align the strip/ribbon on the end of the hardrive under the whhite rectangle and also under where the black rectangle previously was.
11. once aligned place th black triangle back on top of the strip in line with the white rectangle. the black rectangle should push and click into place, securing the strip in place.
12. once this is done the deivce should be fixed.
13. carefully put everything back in place and re-insert all of the screws (be careful with the small screws)
14. press the reset button under the battery and then re-insert the battery.
15. turn on the deivce and see if it works.
16. finally if the deivce still doesn't work then you either didn't line up the strip properly. Or something else is wrong e.g. complete hardrive faliure, or another connection problem.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, IT TOOK ME 4 TRIES UNTIL IT WORKED. BUT THANK GOD IT DID.
MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DEVICE FILES (ALL OF THEM INCLUDING SYSTEM FILES) ONTO YOUR COMPUTER.
good luck, and I will not be held responsible for anything you do, it is intirely up to you.
p.s. worst case senario is that you have to buy an Archos 5. Lucky bum, they are amazing.
I just changed my battery and i am now seen the
i beleive that when it says the system is damaged, it means some files may have been corrupted or harmed. i don't think recovering it would bad. this should go through and make sure all files are intact
How do I download pictures to my Archos 604 wifi
Welcome to Fixya
When you are connected to a Windows® network
, you can browse the shared folders
of other computers in the network, using the Archos File Browser
. From the Home Screen, select the Browser icon. Once in the browser, select ‘Network
’. Your device will search for other computers in the Windows® network and you can start browsing their shared contents.
Additional Help:Archos 604 Manual Guide.
- Using the Archos double browser, you will be able to transfer files from a computer onto your device, or transfer files from your device onto a computer’s write-enabled shared folder.
Archos 604 WiFi Manual Guide.Thank You For Using Fixya.
Please let me know If you need any Further Help.
My Archos 604 wifi only play a few minutes after
it must be the battery..While charging is pilot lamp lightning ?
To verify,just plug the USB cable to see if device battery charging circuit is working..Device should work normally..
If it does,either your battery is dead or its charger needs to be changed.
Not finding what you are looking for?