I can help you with your DirectTV RC65 and Samsung SIR-S4040R PVR.
First of all, if you would like a digital copy of the TIVO RC65 remote control manual for your reference, it is available here
Now, it sounds like you have partial control of your Samsung DVR with the remote, but not complete control. Here is the 5-digit control code for your Samsung SIR-S4040R : 01442.
To program your remote with this code follow these steps
- Locate the 5-digit code for your DIRECTV® Receiver. In your case, the code is 01442. (See Users Manual)
- Power on the DIRECTV Receiver.
- Slide the MODE switch to the DIRECTV position.
- Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the DIRECTV position flashes twice, then release both keys.
- Using the number keys, enter the 5-digit code. If performed correctly, the green light under the DIRECTV position flashes twice.
- Aim the remote at your DIRECTV Receiver and press the
PWR key once. The DIRECTV Receiver should turnoff; if it does not,
repeat steps 3 and 4, trying each code for your brand until you find
the correct code.
The 01442 code is specific to your Samsung S4040R. However, if you find that you are stil unable to power off your DVR, you may wish to try these other Samsung DVR codes to see if for some reason one is more compatible: 20739, 00001, 01142, 01276, 01108, 01109, 01442, 01609, & 01708.
I hope that helps.