20 Most Recent
Questions & Answers
How do I lock my wireless internet so neighbors can not log on
1. First you must set password to access the web interface, so that only you can change the setting.
For a linksys the default web-interface is at 192.168.1.1 The first term you access it enter username:admin, password admin. If that does not work read the manual to find that out.
2. Explore the TAB and each sub-menu to familiarize yourself with the interface. For change to Take effect you must SAVE. Button is at the bottom.
3. In the TAB SETUP>Basic Setup Activate the Automatic DHCP reservation of IP addresses. Enable it on the same page
4.Under the ADMINISTRATION TAB >Management enter a new router password.
5. Under the Wireless TAB> Security Menu, select the Security Mode as WPA2Personal, and Encyiption AES. Enter a passphrase ( like a password but can be a phrase -part of a sentence. For key renewal enter a number like 3600 seconds.
Now if you connect a device through the wireless you will be prompted to enter the pass-phrase. You will be asked for it after every power down of router or reboot of router. If you reset the configuration by pressing the reset button on the router you must redo everything again.
Remember: You will erase everything every time you reset the router. So if you make mistakes, just reset it with a straightened paper clip.
Remember, any body who has physical access to the router can reset. If tech savvy, he/she can give him/her/self access.
on Jan 07, 2014
Speedstream 5100 wont connect to internet
you will need to open up your network connections
click start control panel network connections this may vary depending on your operating system look for local area connection if you see a red X or a yellow exclamation or question mark ! ?
you will need to update or install the driver or it could be firewalled
click start control panel administration tools computer management device manager scroll to network adapters should see a yellow question mark? right click install drivers
the driver might be on the disc supplied by your ISP internet service provider
or the motherboard disc or you might download one if you dont have on a disk
Make sure you Ethernet is enabled in bios restart your computer during the boot up process you will see on your screen a certain key to press to enter set up (BIOS) press and hold that key to enter bios using arrow keys scroll to intergrated peripherals look for SiS On Chip Pci Device press enter scroll to SiS 10/100m press enter make sure its enabledi
click start type cmd press enter you will be in DOS mode
type in ipconfig press enter
you will see all of your internet connection details
or type in your default gateway adress into your internet search should read something like 10.0.0.138 to get an inertnet connection
hope this helps
on Jul 12, 2012
The on-off switch on Speedstream 5100 modem keeps
1: unplug all the cords to the modem
2: press the reset button from the back of it
3: leave it for about 5 minutes to drain off the static charge
4: plug it only to power source to see if the power lights up
5: if does'nt don't waste your time on it, its bad and if it was provided to you by your internet service provider get it replaced for free.
6: if you bought it yourself check for warranty generally modems have lifetime warranty
on Dec 30, 2011
Having trouble getting internet connection, from
Assuming you have connectivity to the router, 1st click start/programs/accessories/command prompt. Command prompt will be a medium sized box that pops up.
Will look like this where you start typing:
just start typing, don't hit the space bar and type exactly what I type.
7 lines down, there will be a line saying "DEFAULT GATEWAY. . . . . . . . . . . .192.168.1.1
The 192.168.1.1 could be different. Write it down if you can't remember it.
Open your internet browser and type this number into the url bar( this is where you would type something like http://www.google.com at) This number will get you into the DSL router. I haven't been in this router in a long time, so my memory is a little sketchy. You should be able to access the connection page and manually make a connection.
Now this all depends on weather or not you have DSL sync with modem back to the phone co. If you can get here and you have connectivity with a solid DSL light, you shoud be able to surf. Also, from the command prompt, you can test your connection to the router by typing :
ping 192.168.1.1 or what ever the default gateway is.(there's a space in between ping and the 1)
If you can ping the router anf the connection looks solid from inside the router, test from the command prompt to see if you can ping outside the network. Type ping www.google.com It should give you 3 replies from the site.
If this happens and you still can't surf, then you have firewall settings set to high or more troule shooting is needed.
Hope this helped.
on Nov 30, 2010
Have an old speedstream 5100
1. In your web browser browse to »192.168.0.1 This address will be located on a yellow sticker on the bottom of your modem.
2. The first screen will ask you for your Modem Access Code. This also will be located on the same yellow sticker.
3. At the login screen type in your SBC/AT&T member ID and password.
4. Click Connect.
5. If everything is successful you will get a screen that says, "You Are Connected." and your Internet light will go solid green. If you username or password is invalid you will get a screen stating such. If there are other problems you will get a screen stating, "The DSL connection is down."
on Oct 09, 2010
Not finding what you are looking for?