Follow the steps below in order to solve the problem:
1. Download from the site as recommended SSC Service Utility http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/
When taking off the scanner unit there is a smallish cover on the left
hand side of the printer at the back; remove this and disconnect two
ribbon cables, two cables with push pin conectors and a spade
connector, 5 altogether.
3. Two screws hold down the hinges of the scanner unit remove and store carefully. Lift off scanner unit.
4. Take out four screws holing printer body on, long magnetic philips screwdriver needed. store screws lift off cover.
At back of printer are the three waste ink pads; use a spade end screw
driver to lift out one at a time. They are about 5cm x 9cm and the
bottom one is slightly different shape to other two.
6. Rinse them thoroughly with water and then squeeze out and dry. I used kitchen roll and then hair dryer.
7. Replace one at a time tucking in corner bits with screwdriver.
8. Replace body, scanner unit, wires and cover.
Connect up printer and switch on. Error light will come on again; don't
dispair, this is what fooled me. Open SSC utility on desktop and then
close; icon appears in lower right screen on application bar like
printer icon. Right click and pop up menu appears; left click on
"Protection Counter" and then "Reset Protection Counter".
10. Turn off printer and then switch back on again. Error light should go out and you can carry on.
I hope the above helps to solve your problem.