The General Alarm means the inside of the appliance is very dirty. Once cleaned, if 'General Alarm!' continues to display, you are advised to contact a service company. Disassemble the machine, making sure to clean every part of it, and put it back together. Plug the machine back in and let it run through it's self-diagnosis procedure.Cleaning the coffee maker
The following parts of the appliance must be cleaned regularly:
- coffee grounds container
- drip tray
- water tank
- coffee spouts and hot water nozzle
- pre-ground coffee feed funnel
- inside the machine, accessible after opening the service door
- milk container
- control panel
Follow the Cleaning and Maintenance procedures in the Instruction Manual for your device here:http://www.delonghi.com.au/support/instruction_manuals/EAM3500_im.pdf
- Do not use solvents, abrasive detergents or alcohol to clean the coffee maker. With De'Longhi superautomatic coffee makers, you need not use chemical products to clean the machine. The descaler recommended by De'Longhi is made from natural and completely biodegradable substances.
- None of the components of the appliance can be washed in a dishwasher with the exception of the milk container.
- Do not use metal objects to remove encrustations or coffee deposits as they could scratch metal or plastic surfaces.
If the problem persists, you will need to contact the place where you purchased the machine to see if you can return it for replacement, or contact DeLonghi to see if they can help you out: http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?texts&pid=3
I’m happy to help further over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/jeremy_69f3cc28d95bf514