20 Most Recent
Questions & Answers
Changing out ignition lock cylinder on 04 saturn
Removal & Installation
Before servicing any vehicle, please be sure to read the precautions section, which deals with personal safety, prevention of component damage, and important points to take into consideration when servicing a motor vehicle.
Vehicle must be in PARK prior to ignition cylinder removal.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable the SIR (air bag) system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Insert key into the ignition and rotate to the RUN position. Then rotate ignition cylinder back to ACC position.
- Depress the locking button through hole on side of ignition module assembly with a thin pick-type tool then slide the lock cylinder from the ignition housing.
Fig. Depress the locking button through hole on side of ignition module assembly
If you are installing a new lock cylinder, recoding will be required and a J 41340, Lock Cylinder Holding Fixture and Staking Tool will be required.
Ignition lock cylinder reads key cut position 1 through 9.
- Insert the appropriate tumbler (3) according to the key code into the corresponding tumbler ward.
Fig. Ignition lock cylinder reads key cut position 1 through 9
Fig. Insert the appropriate tumbler according to the key code into the corresponding tumbler ward
- The tumblers will not immediately seat into position because the sidebar has been pre-assembled. The tumblers will have to be pushed past the sidebar with a small flat screwdriver or pocket knife.
- The tumbler springs (2) should then be inserted into the spring wells in the cylinder (4) where they will sit on top of the tumblers.
- The seal plate (1) will be installed and crimped.
- Insert the seal plate locator legs into the receptacle slots in the cylinder--seal plate will seat into position only when the two locator legs have been properly inserted into the receptacles on the cylinder.
- While holding the seal plate in position with the thumb, insert the key into the cylinder and watch for the side bar to drop. If the side bar does not drop, the lock is tumbled wrong and you need to start over.
- Ensure that the side bar does not drop on an angle. The side bar must be completely flush to the cylinder diameter.
- Stake (1) the two metal areas of the cylinder (2) directly over the seal plate legs with a hammer and punch or chisel.
Fig. Stake (1) the two metal areas of the cylinder (2) directly over the seal plate legs with a hammer and punch or chisel.
- Repeat this stake on the areas of the cylinder directly opposite of the first to stakes.
Actuator blade within the ignition module must be in ACC position to install the lock cylinder assembly. If rotated, reposition the actuator blade to the ACC position using needle nose pliers.
- Insert key into ignition lock cylinder and install the cylinder into the lock housing.
- Rotate the lock cylinder in the housing. Verify proper rotation.
- Install the steering column trim covers.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
on Oct 12, 2010
Mounting 250 Combibox on Land Rover factory rails
Ronald, sometimes thing just don't happen like the book says so in times such as this I have been known to bring out the mig welder and fabricate a mount that will work and the modifications shouldn't be noticed from the topside of the vehicle. Be sure to use suitable materials 3/16th inch wall mild steel and that proper prep work and proper welding procedures are observed and you will have the box serve you well for years to come.
on Jan 01, 2014
Is it good to wrap new vehicles?
Yes, you should go for car wrap, it has many advantages like a high quality film will help you to prevent color fading, flying glass splinters during accidents and heat protection etc.
A nice Auto folie will enhance the appearance of your vehicle.
Vehicle Parts &...
on Jun 09, 2020
Not finding what you are looking for?