20 Most Recent
Questions & Answers
When push quick start button, why does it display Erro 30 and doesn't run?
Hi There....This is a great message for ALL PRECOR 956/966 owners. This failure usually relates to a "communications" error between the upper and lower electronics. This particular failure is a direct result of a failed IFT drive module, or the lower drive "box" that is made by Advanced Drive Technology. The brains of this lower controller has failed and cannot "talk" to the upper board anymore due to several failed parts inside this box. You are lucky to have this failure arise over a fatal blow-out. Now replacements thru Precor or a distributor will be $550+ and are usually low stock items at places, but you can get repairs and exchanges of this Precor IFT drive by emailing gregATbuyfitnessrepairpartsDOTcom for much less than all other vendors. Currently these IFT drives are 380 exchange and 199 repair and turnaround is one day. Good Luck!
on Feb 26, 2020
I just bought Two Precor 9561 treadmills from an
Precor Error 30, 31, 32 and 33, Communications Error
1. Bad interconnect cable between upper PCA and lower PCA.
2. Interconnect cable is mistakenly plugged into the CSAFE connector at the upper PCA.
3. Elliptical 5.17 equipped with old software version 1.01 in upper and lower PCA.
4. Upper and lower PCAs have mismatched software.
5. Another component plugged onto the PCA is overloading the +5VDC power supply.
6. Bad lower PCA.
7. Bad upper PCA.
Precor Error Code 30 31 32 33
- Test unit with a know good interconnect cable or test the interconnect cable for continuity. Replace interconnect cable if necessary.
- Disconnect the interconnect cable from the CSAFE connector and attach to the proper position on the upper PCA.3.
- Replace the upper and lower software of the 5.17 elliptical with the most current versions.4.
- If one of the PCAs is found to have software version 1.01, replace it with the most current software version.
- Disconnect all components from the upper and lower PCA leaving the data cable connecting between the upper and lower PCAs and the AC power going to the lower PCA. If the unit shows any error other than the error 3x, reconnect components one at a time. Reset power between each newly connected component until the error 3x reappears. Whichever component was last connected when the error 3x reappears, is the cause for the error. Replace the faulty component.
- Test unit with a known good lower PCA. Replace the lower PCA if necessary.
- Test unit with a known good upper PCA. Replace the upper PCA if necessary.
on Dec 11, 2014
Replacing precor 956i treadmill deck
Replacing a Treadmill Running Belt and Deck
Following is a basic guideline of removing and replacing the running belt
on a treadmill. Due to different brands and designs of treadmills, the following should only be used as a guideline. If any of the information is not exact to the treadmill being serviced, refer to the service manual or call Sportsmith for further help.
Tools Needed: Phillips Screwdriver, Set of Allen Wrenches, Set of Box End or Open Face Wrenches (Tools needed may vary depending on treadmill. )
How to Replace Treadmill Running Belt and Deck
- Switch the Power off on the unit.
- Next, unplug the unit from the wall.
- Remove the finger guard retaining screws and carefully remove the finger guards from the deck at each end of the rear roller.
- Loosen each rear roller bolt by 10 full turns. Then count the remaining turns necessary to remove the rear roller bolts. Remember to write down the number of turns needed to remove the bolts in each side for future reference.
- Carefully remove the rear roller from the unit. Clean any wax or debris buildup from the roller and place it aside.
- Raise the shroud and secure it with a bungee cord.
- Work the drive belt off the motor pulley by hand turning the flywheel while pushing the belt aside.
- Now remove the front roller retaining bolts.
- Carefully remove the front roller from the unit. Clean off any wax or debris buildup and set it aside.
- Loosen and remove the deck mounting hardware.
- Move the deck toward the left side of the frame to free the deck from the right side. The deck will move down once the frame has been cleared.
- Remove the deck and belt by raising the right side edge of the deck over the frame rail and sliding it to the right to remove.
- When installing a new belt or deck it is important to note that a new belt and deck surface should always be installed together. Failure to adhere to this guideline will severely shorten the life of the newly installed parts. Some decks can be used on both sides. However, be sure that each side is only used once. Be sure to install the belt in the proper direction on the unit.
- Install the belt and deck by first putting the belt on the deck, and then installing them from the right side as a unit.
- Be sure the deck is lined up with the frame and push the deck to the left side.
- Now carefully lower the right side of the deck to insert it into the frame rail and then push the deck to the right as far as possible.
- Re-install deck mounting hardware. (Check with mfr. for proper torque during install process.)
- Carefully place the front roller on the deck under the belt and push it forward into place, while placing the drive belt on the inside of the drive pulley.
- Replace the front roller bolts. (Check with mfr. for proper torque during install process.)
- Now spin the roller by hand while pushing the drive belt onto the pulley. Be sure to spin the roller several times to insure complete installation of the drive belt on the pulley.
- Install the rear roller into unit. Carefully start each bolt and turn one to two threads to ensure no cross-threading has occurred.
- Tighten each rear roller bolt the number of turns you kept earlier for reference.
- Now, Plug in and power on the unit.
- Carefully remove the bungee cord from the shroud and lower it back into place.
- Start the unit at a very slow speed and check for proper belt alignment. Remember to start at the slowest speed possible and be ready to stop the unit quickly if needed.
- If the belt is moving to right side of unit tighten the right roller bolt, If the belt is moving to the left side of the unit tighten the left roller bolt until the belt is tracking properly.
- Caution: make very small adjustments such as 1/4 turns and then watch the belt for several moments before making another adjustment.
- Once the belt is tracking properly walk on the unit at a slow speed and check for belt slippage on foot fall. If this is happening tighten each of the rear roller bolts equal turns until the slippage is no longer occurring. Caution: make very small adjustments such as ¼ turns and then watch the belt for several moments before making another adjustment.
- Now use the unit at a jogging speed to check for belt travel or slippage.
- If slippage still occurs make small equal adjustments (1/4 turns) to both sides of rear roller and re-test.
- Install the finger guards once you have enough clearance from the rear roller.
- Some manufacturers require wax or lube during the install process, please consult your owner's or service manual for further information regarding this.
on Dec 08, 2014
We have a 2 new
Most treadmills are designed to use the ground to disperse extra static energy - the ground on the GFCI is used to detect fluctuations in the current flow from the hot to the neutral side. The difference in current flow can be as small as 5 milliamps. When the ground pin on the GFCI detects this fluctuation, the ground will open the circuit. This is why it is not recommended to plug a treadmill into a GFCI.
on Nov 25, 2014
On switching machine on `STUCK KEY` appears on
Precor Error 05, Key Depressed at Power Up
1. A key is permanently depressed on the display.
2. An interface chip (IC) has failed in the upper PCA's keypad.
3. Liquid (cleaning solution or sweat) may be on the surface of a touch sensitive display.
- Disconnect the keypad cable from the upper PCA. Reset power to the machine. If the Error 05 is eliminated, the keypad is the cause and should be replaced.
- Disconnect the keypad cable from the upper PCA. Reset power to the machine. If the Error 05 still appears, the upper PCA* is the cause and should be replaced. *Upper PCA's most commonly do not come with software. Remove the software (chip) from the existing upper PCA prior to replacement and install into the new upper PCA.
- Wipe away all liquid from the touch sensitive display. Reset power to the unit. If the Error 05 is eliminated, the liquid was the cause.
This link will take you to the parts available for these models. Because most machines are serial number specific, you will need to narrow your search based on your particular model and serial number.
Repair Parts for Precor C956i Treadmills 120VAC 240VAC SPORTSMITH net
on Nov 20, 2014
How do I tighten drive belt on precor 956i
Adjusting Tension on a Treadmill Running Belt
It is necessary to properly tension a treadmill belt
when it is replaced. After time, a belt can stretch and may begin to slip. When this happens, it is necessary to adjust the tension of the running belt to stop it from slipping. Manufacturers of treadmills generally agree on one of three procedures for how to tension a treadmill running belt
How to Tension Treadmill Walking Belt that Slips
- Adjust for no slippage of the treadmill walking belt on the front roller (Often referred to as the "Stomp Test")
- This procedure works well for a previously installed belt that is now slipping.
- Underside of belt should be free of any glazing/wax buildup.
- Rollers must also be free of wax buildup.
- Be sure belt tracking/centering is correct before proceeding.
- The most popular speed for this adjustment is 2mph to 3mph.
- Try to slow the belt by applying pressure with your foot against the belt movement while grasping the handrails. If the running belt slow, slips or stops (and the front roller does not) adjust BOTH adjustment bolts 1/4 turn clockwise. Test again and repeat adjustment if necessary.
- This procedure requires two belt gauges or calipers
- This procedure works well when installing a new belt.
- This procedure requires you to stretch the belt. Depending on the manufacturer*, this varies between .4 and .6 percent. A dial on the gauge or caliper will indicate the amount of stretch. *Consult the owner/service manual for proper tension.
- If you are working on a previously tensioned belt you will need to release the tension before attaching the gauges or calipers.
- Gauges or Calipers unavailable
- Release the tension on the belt.
- Using a yard stick or tape measure, place two marks on the left and right edges of the belt and deck 36 inches apart (or 50 inches if you prefer).
- Adjust the left and right tensioning bolts until both sides measure 36 3/16 inches (or 50 1/4). This is equal to .5% of stretch.
- Test for proper tracking and tension, adjust if necessary.
on Nov 10, 2014
My 956i just started causing
Hi, the belt is erratic this indicates problem with DC board or the motor. Manually push the belt in the direction in which it normally moves. If you have difficulty turning the belt, there may be an issue with the belt/deck friction. If the belt turns freely, there may be an issue with the DC board output.
Use a multimeter to test the black and red lead wires that connect the motor to the power supply. An external power cord connects the motor the power supply.
Most probably its a motor issue.Its got weak,because in most of the cases its seen.But in some cases the board is checked faulty.-------- Get the motor as well as board checked to confirm the fault. This will help
on Apr 22, 2011
Belts are slipping,
your treadmill's belt is loose. You have to tight the belt from the both side.
all the treadmills follow the same procedure for tightening the waking belt. Watch the following video for the same.
on Mar 16, 2011
Not finding what you are looking for?