Forget all the old postings here. They are not reflective of the 2016 information.
FEB 15 2016
For Windows 10
1. Open the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility. (Came with your MX870) on your PC. Make sure it is ENABLED.
(Look for icon in the right side of your tray and right click on it.)
2. Open Canon MP Navigator EX Came with your MX870) on your PC.
2a. Click Scan/Import Button at the top.
2b. Click Photos/Documents (Platen) button on right side.
3. Place the first page of your document on the platen. Close lid.
3a. Click the green Scan big rectangular button.
3b. Remove first page of the document, place the second page of the document on the platen, close lid.
3c. NOTE: This time, there will be a small rectangular box in the same large white box that has the small thumbnails of the page of your document that you have scanned. The small box will be labeled "Scan Complete." There will be a note that says, "Scan complete, to continue scanning load the next document and click "SCAN." There are two choices only. "Scan" and "Exit."
4. Repeat step 3 - 3c clicking on the "Scan" button in the Scan Complete box for each page of the document. When the last page is scanned and the thumbnail is in the white box with the rest of the multi-page document, click on the "Exit" button.
5. Use the Ctrl button and choose each of the thumbnails representing the pages of the document you want to save as one file. Be sure they have a yellow frame highlighting each thumbnail, as well as have a small check in the little box at the bottom left of each thumbnail.
6. At the bottom left of the MP Navigator EX window, click on the rectangular box that says, "Save as PDF file."
7. Your multi-page PDF file will be saved in the location you have specified in the settings.
If you need the drivers and software for this go to the:
Canon Support ' MX Series' PIXMA MX870 site here:
Under: Drivers and Downloads, choose "Recommended Downloads" and get this driver and File Name:
MX870 series MP Driver Ver.1.06 (Windows)
Then under Drivers and Downloads, choose "Software" and get this software and File Name:
MP Navigator EX Ver. 3.15 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/2000)
The pics of the page and information are for reference....