During the Sabbath, or Shabbat, and religious holidays in Judaism, there may be restrictions on certain activities that can extend to the use of appliances. Restrictions may include turning appliances on or off, using control panels or activating lights and sounds. Sabbath Mode allows people to use their household appliances without violating their religious laws. When appliances are put into Sabbath Mode, certain features may be modified or disabled to accommodate these needs.
Our guide explains how Sabbath Mode affects cooktops, ovens and refrigerators. Keep reading or jump to an appliance category to learn more:
- What is Sabbath Mode on a stove or cooktop?
- What is Sabbath Mode on an oven?
- What is Sabbath Mode on a refrigerator or freezer?
- What is Sabbath Mode on a wine refrigerator?
What is Sabbath Mode on a stove or cooktop?
You can cook on your stove when it's in Sabbath Mode, but additional features and functionality are disabled. When your stove is in Sabbath Mode:
- Cooktop burners can still be operated.
- Sounds such as tones or chimes are disabled.
- Displays will not indicate temperature changes.
- Timers are disabled.
- Cooktop Lockout, a feature that prevents unintended use of the cooktop, is disabled.
- Energy Save is disabled in select models.
- Start, Cancel and Off keys, as well as Warming Zone on/off (select models), remain enabled. All other keys are disabled.
What is Sabbath Mode on an oven?
When in Sabbath Mode, your oven will disable its automatic shut-off function to stay on longer than 12 hours. This means that the oven will stay in a Bake mode until shut off, which will allow you to use the oven for cooking or warming food. It is important to remember that certain features will need to be enabled or disabled before using Sabbath Mode. This includes the following:
- Oven Light: Turn your oven light on or off before engaging Sabbath Mode. Your oven light will remain as it was set until Sabbath Mode is turned off - it will not be affected by the Oven Light switch or by opening or closing your oven door.
- Warming Drawer: If you plan to use your warming drawer, it must be turned on prior to enabling Sabbath Mode. Adjust your warming drawer settings prior to turning on Sabbath Mode, as these settings cannot be changed once the Mode is engaged.
While your oven is in Sabbath Mode, only the Bake setting can be enabled - all other oven settings, including temperature displays, sounds and cleaning cycles, are disabled.
What is Sabbath Mode on a refrigerator or freezer?
Sabbath Mode allows you to open and close the refrigerator or freezer doors without activating interior lights, sounds or other controls. While your fridge is in Sabbath Mode, water filter status lights are disabled and temperatures cannot be adjusted.
What is Sabbath Mode on a wine refrigerator?
When Sabbath Mode is activated on your wine fridge or wine cooler, the exterior lights and display will be deactivated. This will make your appliance appear as if it is turned off, but your wine cooler will keep running as normal, and its temperature settings will remain unchanged. Learn how to activate Sabbath Mode on your wine refrigerator.
To learn more about Sabbath Mode or for further instructions, refer to your appliance's Use and Care Guide. To download or view your product manual, visit our Manuals and Literature