20 Most Recent
Questions & Answers
Door latches to microwave broken
I assume you're talking about the spring that keeps tension on the door hooks (latch heads, as they're called by Sharp).
When you shut the door, the "hooks" are held down by this spring to actuate the door switches.
To fix this, you'll have to separate the door panels. You can download the service manual from my Web site.
There's a loop built into the latch head assembly and sometimes the loop breaks. If so, you can drill a tiny hold in it and reattach the spring there.
There may also be a loop on the innner door panel to hold the spring. That one can break, too.
If it's broken, you'll have to find a way to secure the spring to the panel.
If the panel material is thick enough, a tiny screw eye could be inserted, then epoxied overnight to secure it.
I've attached a diagram to this message that should help you.
If that doesn't help you, I have the service manual for the R1600-series microwaves on my Web site at:
Repost if you need more help.
Microwave turns, gives out strong burnt plastic smell, little (or no) heating
I would first suggest that you look inside the cooking cavity to see if your wavegudie cover is burned or carbonized.
If so, it will need to be replaced. You can order one via Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com
The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease.
When the grease and food particles build up on and behind the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up!
The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty or is burned, it must be replaced.
Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers.
It is sometimes held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down.
Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening.
Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet.
I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics.
Once you remove and / or clean the cover and clean the opening of the waveguide, if it still won't heat and/or still has the smell, you may have a bad magnetron or high-voltage transformer.
Feel free to post back if you still have trouble.
Smoke and burning plastic smell in microwave oven
Burning plastic, not food? A component has overheated badly then, with a plastic case. The main suspect would be the high voltage capacitor in the magnetron supply. This is cheap and easily replaced ONLY IF you know what you are doing and can diagnose the fault. If you don't then DO NOT take the case off the unit as fatal voltages can be present inside even if the unit is unplugged.
I'd just buy another, as they are generally uneconomical to have repaired by a service tech.
The microwave sends out a strong radio frequency burst that vibrates the water molecules in your food and causes them to heat through friction.
No heat means no rays..means a new microwave! Cheaper than fixing..go to Craigs list
Turntable not working
Remove the bottom cover to the oven and check to see if a rubber belt exists, if so it may have stretched and may be slipping. Replace the belt if one exists.
Well first of all you can try to clean the turntable- Remove your glass turntable cooking tray from your microwave. Gently wash with warm soapy water to remove any debris. Next remove the turntable guide and clean it in the same manner, with warm soapy water. Pay particular attention to the turntable rollers. There could be spilled food particles caught in the rollers, hindering the rollers' movement. Also, gently cleanse the internal cavity of your microwave, paying special attention to the area below the turntable. With the internal cavity, turntable, and turntable guide completely clean and dry, return the parts to your microwave. First place the turntable guide on the bottom of the microwave. There should be a circular groove in the bottom of the microwave cavity keeping the turntable guide in place. Follow the guide with the turntable cooking tray. Carefully place the glass tray over the turntable guide and onto the drive bushing. The drive bushing should fit neatly into the grooves on the bottom of your glass cooking tray. It may take some adjusting before the tray will sit properly onto the drive bushing. If further you have the same problem then this could be a failing turntable motor...... Please post comments for further help or information.......
Not finding what you are looking for?