Question about 1996 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
I have a 96 Yamaha virago xv1100. Starts up with choke. But doesn't want to stay running. The bike runs great on the highway but then loses power and shuts down almost like it's not getting any gas. I change the fuel filter. Any suggestion? @
Hi, Kenny and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. A failed main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Failed system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Failed ignition coil, stator, magneto, ignition/electronic module.
7. Failed CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Throttle cables and or idle speed improperly adjusted hot idle speed should be 950 RPM to 1000 RPM.
9. Faulty neutral, side stand or clutch lever safety switch.
10. Faulty or corroded kill switch.
11. Accelerator pump damaged or not working.
12. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
13. Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
14. Fuel tank empty.
15. The gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked, loosen the gas cap and go for a test ride.
16. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
17. Vacuum line from the intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
18. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
19. Petcock clogged or damaged.
20. Lean angle switch is faulty or needs adjustment.
21. Catastrophic engine failure, perform a compression test.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Yamaha Virago XV1100L Owner Manual
Posted on May 22, 2019
your carb. is flooding the cylinder when its not running.it will cause ring damage.turn your gas pitcock off when not in use.get carb cleaned &adjusted.
Posted on Apr 23, 2009
Here are two solutions for you:
A - Take the carberator off and soak it in some good quality carb cleaner for about 1/2 an hour. That should take care of any residue in the carbs.
B - Alternatively (and for the less technical minded) there is a great product called Sea Foam. Try to find it at your local CSK auto/NAPA/Wal-Mart. Pour a small amount (maybe 1/4 ounce) into each cylinder chamber (take out the spark plugs), try to pour a small amount into the carbs (a turkey baster works great for this), and pour the rest into the gas tank. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then start it up. *NOTE - the bike will start VERY hard at first until it burns through what's in the cylinders. ALSO the fumes will be EXTREMELY strong and suffocating - make sure you do this OUTDOORS preferably, or at least in a VERY well ventilated area.
Good luck - I know how frustrating these things can be! :)
P.S. - I am a proud owner of a V-Star 1300 - great bikes! :)
Posted on May 26, 2009
sounds like you have trash in your carbs u need to take bottoms off and run a piece of a wire wheel through the jets
Posted on Jun 23, 2009
SOURCE: Won't idle without choke
The pilot jet controls the air/gas fuel mix at idle . If the jet gets plugged up not enough gas gets to the emgine at idle. You will need to remove the carbs and float bowls and clean them, paying special attention to the pilot valve. Count the number of turns to remove the pilot screw and replace the same number of turns then turn counter clockwise 1/2 turn.
A “very helpful” rating for this answer? Thanks!
Posted on Jun 30, 2009
Sounds like a fueling problem either water in the carbs or the fuel flow from the tap is insufficient. If there is a vacuum pipe it may have been dislodged or holed.
Please mark this as useful (if it has been!!)
Posted on Aug 03, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 02, 2017 | 1996 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
Jul 31, 2014 | 1999 Yamaha Xv 250 Virago S
Jan 08, 2018 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Jun 21, 2012 | Yamaha Xv1100 Virago Xv 1100 1989-1998...
Apr 23, 2012 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Jun 22, 2009 | 1988 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
36 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: