Question about 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster Custom
My 2003 Harley Davidson sportster 1 200 custom starts and runs well until it warms up, then backfires and dies, within about 5 to 10 minutes, they won't start till it cools off. What's wrong? It backfires and acts as fuel, but it's nt, it's no spark I think @
Ignition components r gittn hot from wear..test each one w a ohmvoltmeter..replace w original equip
Posted on Oct 21, 2019
Hi, Wayne and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. Failed main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Failed system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Failed ignition coil, stator, magneto, ignition/electronic module.
7. Failed CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Throttle cables and or idle speed improperly adjusted hot idle speed should be 950 RPM to 1000 RPM.
9. Faulty neutral, side stand or clutch lever safety switch.
10. Faulty or corroded kill switch.
11. Accelerator pump damaged or not working.
12. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
13. Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
14. Fuel tank empty.
15. The gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked, loosen gas cap and go for a test ride.
16. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
17. Vacuum line from intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
18. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
19. Petcock clogged or damaged.
20. Lean angle switch is faulty or needs adjustment.
21. Catastrophic engine failure, perform a compression test.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below and for more specific information or questions at no charge please feel free to contact me at [email protected] Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Harley Davidson XLH Sportster Service Manual
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/vehicle/lookupForm free owners manual
Instant Repair Help over the Phone To speak to me personally $6
Posted on Apr 07, 2019
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Charlie. You have replaced the ECM on your van?.
Kedwin,, Your problem is, the computer on that 3.3 L.
Need to be programed with the VIN nember of your car.
The Antitheft System will disable the injectors due a incorrect VIN, Bucause the body computer is not recieve the correct pasword between 5 seconds after start up.
YOU have 2 options. 1 get a ALOHA Smith. some of they have the computer required to program ECMs.
The other option is: Get a new ECM from the dealer, They will program if ask for that.
NOTE:::::: Other way is . Put the body control module with the computer from the same car.
OK... I hope this work for yours.
If NOT letme know I can look for more information.
Posted on Jul 17, 2008
I have a 1985 Camaro and if the switch for the fan is off then it overheats. There is a fan that can be installed. My switch is on the left of my steering wheel. Tune up is always good. Have your alternator checked, if it's old can be a problem maybe. New spark plugs can't go wrong. Good Luck!!!
Posted on Jun 10, 2012
You are on the right track by finding the injector pulse missing.
The computer grounds the injectors based on signals from the cam and crank sensors. You may have to use a scanner to check for trouble codes in the computer and watch the sensors work.
The problem could also be a relay or the key switch.
Posted on Dec 11, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 23, 2010 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Apr 02, 2010 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Apr 01, 2010 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Mar 24, 2010 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Dec 14, 2009 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Nov 02, 2009 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Jul 02, 2009 | 2003 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
May 29, 2009 | 2005 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
67 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: